Lack O'Hot Water

Old 03-07-04, 04:29 PM
woof
Visiting Guest
Lack O'Hot Water

I have a Weil McLain boiler and a recently replaced Amtrol indirect water heater (41 gal.). Since the water heater was replaced about two weeks ago, because existing heater sprung a leak, our hot water (at taps) has been rather sporadic. At times hot, while becoming increasingly luke warm.
I realize this may sound like an issue for the oil heater forum, but Im wondering why the pressure on the boiler only reads about 7 psi. This seems rather low, is it not? If so, is there something I should check? Should I call my oil company with whom I have a service contract? Or would you recommend I have the same plumber attempt to rectify the problem given weve only had the problem since he installed the hot water heater?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-04, 06:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would say call that plumber back right now and get him to fix it for sure. 7 lb psi on the boiler. Did he turn the auto fill back on on the boiler ????If he turned it off. You should have around 12 to 15 for 1 floor. Make sure you get water out of all the bleeders you have there on the baseboards or R/ D. ED

Old 03-08-04, 09:16 AM
woof
Visiting Guest
Thank you sir

Thanks for your input.

I'd already called the plumber, who's scheduled to come out tomorrow afternoon ("Gee thanks. Don't rush to accommodate for previously paid service!")

Thanks to your input, I'll have a better sense why things aren't right and potential remedies.

Hopefully they won't ask for the substantial first hour labor ($120) to correct their prior oversight.

I love this website! It's great for the ignorant, new home owner (like me). Although, slowly but surely, I'm learning.

Ciao for now. I'll let you know what happens.

Wwwooooof!!

Old 03-08-04, 12:27 PM
Try and be there when he comes and have him go over the things with you if you can ED

Old 03-08-04, 02:19 PM
If the indirect sits near the boiler as they usually do, pressure isn't too much of an issue. It sounds like the circulator you have on the indirect isn't pumping. Maybe is is on the return side and is airbound, or maybe it is just not working. Also, the Amtrol units have a bad reputation for thermostats going bad. They usually become slow to respond and then won't close at all. Hope your plumber get it squared away. What does youe service contract cover???

Ken

Old 03-11-04, 07:15 PM
woof
Visiting Guest
Results

I'm happy to report the problem has been fixed. As it turned out, another (seemingly more experienced) plumber from same company determined that the installer mis-wired the new heater during installation. As a result of mis-wiring, the (indirect) water heater ONLY heated when the upstairs thermostats called for heating (and furnace resulting fired-up). When initially installed, it was relatively cold out (below freezing), so the water remained fairly warm. However, as it became warmer, we required less heat upstairs so the water temperature dropped.

I also asked the lad to check the thermostat on the furnace (at 7 psi). He said that it actually read about 12 psi, so the thermostat is inaccurate.

All is well. Thanks for your help. Hope this may help someone in return.

Woooof!