What is really the best??

Old 03-09-04, 07:55 PM
lilredcorvette
Visiting Guest
Question What is really the best??

Question for all the heating gurus:

What is really the best system to have...electric, gas or oil?

I'm about to purchase a home with oil heat. One disadvantage I see is the tank is underground - difficult to maintain and insure.

But I hear that it's better than gas.

Can someone please enlighten me - what is really the best? Is it worth it to convert my heating to gas?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-04, 06:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Its more in what is the best for where you are as to cost.

Go to www.warmair.net and compare the fuel cost for where you are.

Then make up your mind ED

Old 03-11-04, 07:10 AM
I personaly prefer Oil over Gas..

A couple of reason.

You can Shop around for Oil. Most of the time w/ gas you only get it from one company.

Heat from Oil is very warm.

Depending on how big your tank is, you can "stock" up when Oil price is low.

Downfall,

You have to have to clean and tuned every year.

if you have problem with the oil tank leak, it will not be cheap!!

Like Ed said, check and compair the price of oil and gas in your area.

Old 03-14-04, 10:21 AM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Preferences

I think by far gas is better
First, you don't need it cleaned and serviced every year like oil requires, you could go every three years and be OK , providing its not propane.
Secondly, You don't loose alot of floor space in the basement for a 275 Gallon tank.
You never have to fill it up, it's piped to the house,
As far as oil being warm....I have no idea what that means!
Oil is rather dirty and most techs don't like working with it, its hard to get the odor off youself or clothing, and if the tank ruptures you have a real mess. If it gets in the soil, the EPA gets involved and thats a nightmare that might require a home equity loan....
PS I have oil only because gas isn't available.
Electric is OK if you live in Canada, because we pay for their power bills

Old 03-14-04, 09:41 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
Heat from oil is very warm? Oy.

You CAN shop around for gas. Almost all gas companies are now a delivery company. You can determine the source and price. Most electric supplies are like this too.

I have never waited around for an gas truck on a cold day.

Old 03-17-04, 06:49 AM
I don't know what all the fear is about. The oil comes from under the ground and when we accidentally put some of it back, everybody freaks out. (Just kidding)

There are perfectly acceptable above ground storage solutions on the market today and even underground solutions that will last a hundred years or so. I prefer oil because there are more choices in suppliers. That competition promotes better service in the industry. I also like the fact that in the event of any kind of disaster, a small generator can keep the heat on. The same applies to LP gas and natural gas if the supplies aren't interrupted. Modern oil equipment still should be maintained on a yearly basis but when a good supply of low sulphur heating oil becomes available, that will change a few things too.

The truth is that every system is the best when it is applied and installed correctly. And that seems to be the minority of systems. A lot of perfectly good equipment gets installed incorrectly and makes a homeowner unhappy. It really doesn't have that much to do with the fuel. The only real issue is COST of operation. Oil typically costs less per btu than LP gas and electric, and in most areas less than natural gas. You should check prices in your area and do it all on the same day at this time of year because it fluctuates daily.

Ken

Old 03-17-04, 08:09 AM
You CAN shop around for gas. Almost all gas companies are now a delivery company.
You are maybe talking about LP Gas? I ment was natural gas. You can't shop around for them.

LP gas you could shop around, but lot of time you rent thier tanks, so that will add up.

Old 03-17-04, 01:58 PM
It still comes out to how many BTU for $1.00 Also what is the pay back for better units.

Nat. Gas LP , OIL , Electric

ED

Old 03-18-04, 07:59 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
Jay11J,

I can choose my natural gas supplier as well as electric. Since I am in the NYC metro area, we don't really deal with LP gas.

Old 03-18-04, 08:24 PM
imjerry
Visiting Guest
By Law

We can shop for a natural Gas and Electric supplier!! Con Edison is the Power Company, but there are quite a few alternate energy companies!! Edison supplies the service to your home for Gas and Electricity but a bulk buyer bills you for the power consumed and usually at a lower cost than the primary utility!! I buy my Gas and Electric from Keyspan Energy but Con Ed maintains the gas mains and power grid!!

About 10% lower cost!!

Old 03-18-04, 08:34 PM
Wow, that's a new one for me.

There's a couple of gas Company, in Rocheter, there is just one, Aquila, Then Xcel (Used to be NSP) for most of Minnesota.

So, with you able to choice your own gas company, are they all tapping to the same main gas line or is there a line for each company?

Old 03-19-04, 11:02 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
The local utility company is actually a delivery service (so you only have one gas line to your house). While they try to get the best price for gas to keep the general rates low, you can select which actual source is used for your individual rate.

Much like gasoline through a pipeline, you are not actually getting gas from the provider you selected, just locking in on a rate. You are trying to select a supplier that will keep their prices low. When demand goes up, and the local utility has to purchase gas from more expensive sources to keep up with demand, your rate does not change. On the flip side, if the supplier hikes up their rate, but the utility is getting more gas from a cheaper supplier, your rate still goes up.