Marks on wall over baseboard heat registers

Old 03-14-04, 09:30 AM
Merlotski
Visiting Guest
Marks on wall over baseboard heat registers

I have natural gas baseboard heat in my house. I have noticed a weird soot like marks on the walls above the baseboards on the walls in several locations, both upstairs and down. What could be causing this strange mark? It is almost like dust and very hard to remove.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-04, 10:09 AM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Soot

This is called streaking... It's from dirt as you said, likely candles if you have kids... I don't know why the little piros like candles so much, but they do. First, make sure to Vacuum the regitar fins clean, secondly, check to make sure the boiler isn't running over 180F on the boiler water temperature. The high temperature difference makes the convective air currents run too fast up the wall causing streaking. You'll see it finds nails in the sheet rock too. To remove the soot, try the new Mr Clean sponges everyone has been raving about.
The other possibility is ther is a leak in the exhaust stack or chimney...has it been services this year?

Old 03-15-04, 01:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Streaking

Streaking as HVAC01453 is caused by dust carried up by convection up the back of the heater.
When they were fitted they should have sponge strip sealing fitted along the back to seal and to try and prevent this.
Suggest you try and seal the back some how so the convection currents can not leak up the back carrying dust.

Old 03-15-04, 05:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hot water heat is a very good and even heat for a home . But all that dirt you hear about on the air filters and in the A/C coil with the hot air furnaces is up there in you home all the time with hot water heat. that is what you have going up the walls. Like was said vacuum under the baseboard fins a lot will help ED