hole in radiator

Old 03-17-04, 05:09 AM
casper
Visiting Guest
hole in radiator

hi,i am a student, and what happened was i somehow managed to hit the radiator with a dart (aiming at a dartboard) and now theres a hole in it.

when the dart was removed, fluid shot out of the hole, so we turned the valve off.

I was wondering if anyone here could tell me the best way to fix this hole so it would look ok and hold up for a while

thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-04, 05:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
INFO INFO here would help. Just what do you have hot water, steam ?You put a dart into a cast iron radiator????????? ED

Old 03-17-04, 06:31 AM
Until you answer Eds questions, put the dart back in the hole.

Ken

Old 03-21-04, 02:06 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
cast iron?

You must have shot this dart through a gun tube! If a dart puts a hole in cast iron, the radiator is about to fall apart.

Old 03-25-04, 10:27 AM
Is this in a dorm room? Copper pipe? Please report it and let the maint department patch it correctly so it doesn't cause further damage after you're gone. It's okay. Yours probably isn't the first dart hole they've seen. Move the dart board.

Doug M.

Old 03-25-04, 04:32 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
dart hole

Sharpen a #2 pencil and replace its tip with the darts, and say you dropped your pencil!!!

Old 03-29-04, 01:43 AM
casper
Visiting Guest
i threw the dart really hard - i was trying to see how many pages of a thick magazine i could get a dart through (blame beer) and it was balanced on the radiator and i sort of missed (doh)

i just want some sort of idea as to make it look perfectly normal, the radiators are neveer used as the flat is always freakishly hot, we even left our windows open in winter when it was snowing

Old 03-29-04, 05:03 AM
I don't think the leak would stop by closing the valve on one side but you didn't say that it continued to leak. Maybe you could clarify that for us. If the leak stopped, you could get some JB Weld epoxy and clean up the spot and put a dab of epoxy on it. It will bond well to the cast iron is it is clean and DRY and prevent future leakage. You will obviously have to paint it to make it invisible.

Ken

Old 03-29-04, 03:21 PM
casper
Visiting Guest
closing the valve stopped the supply of fluid to the radiator, then we let it drain to the level of the hole, so it doesnt leak any more

currently the hole is hidden by some tippex/ correction ink stuff

the epoxy sounds good, so ill try that and let you know if it works
thanks