Oil Burner won't stay ignited

Old 03-21-04, 05:18 AM
dct615
Visiting Guest
Question Oil Burner won't stay ignited

I have an oil burner on my home's boiler that won't stay ignited. When you turn on the switch a quick flame occurs...less than a second ...and then the flame stops although the pump continues to run until it eventually times out for no flame. I have bleed the oil line and it is steady with no air bubbles. The pressure on the oil pump looks good too.

Any suggestions on where to look next?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-04, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First when was the last time you had it serviced.Is the nozzle new??thats where Id start. The oil filter new? Can it be the screen in the pump? What is the psi on the pump? Your not just about out of oil are you? Do you know if oil is still comeing out of the nozzle after it flames out? You have a lot of IFS here.

ED

Old 03-21-04, 01:58 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Testing

to see if your loosing oil, place the flame mirror in the combustion chamber during ignition the second it goes out, then pull it out. Is it wet? Is the combustion chamber filling with oil. It will if its spraying oil! Be careful of the puff-back, that will scare the hell out of you when it happens the first time. Replace the nozzle for starters, they're cheap.

Old 03-21-04, 05:33 PM
dct615
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your suggestions.

The pump pressure is around 90 psi. It continues to spray even after the flame goes out. Electrodes are in the proper position. Filter is new, plenty of oil in the tanks.

Interesting note, when I open the valve to the pump gauge and turn the siwtch on, I do not get the short flash. When I close the valve and restart the burner it gets the short flash again. Don't know if this means anything, but I thought it might be note worthy.

Old 03-22-04, 07:08 AM
The pump psi should be 100lb or better. You still dont say about the nozzle.Is it new?????? Did you look inside is the nose cone ok not burned off. If you worked on it .You didnt move the nozzle setting into or out in the air tube ?????The transformer is good did you test it?

ED

Old 03-22-04, 05:45 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
90PSI

It sounds to me like this is all out of wack, and there are too many things to check to see if its setup right. I'd have a tech do this AND insist on an efficiency test. As said earlier minimum pump pressure is 100PSI and now days most are way over that (those that know what they're doing)...

Old 03-23-04, 12:50 PM
You didn't say what brand and model of burner you have but it could be a few things. A weak ignition transformer, too much air, dirt in the nozzle, or wrong retention setting all could contribute. I would suggest setting the pump pressure at 100# and replace the nozzle. Light it up again and let us know what (if anything) is different.

Ken

Old 03-30-04, 02:13 PM
dct615
Visiting Guest
Thanks everyone for the suggestions...too much air was the problem...thanks again