moving radiator

Old 03-24-04, 09:43 PM
DSF
Visiting Guest
moving radiator

I need to move the radiator in the living room to repair the wall behind it. Then I want to put it back. How do I do this? Also, the wall behind the radiator is solid-plaster over the exterior brick. I saw some foam insulation at Home Depot with a shiny silver layer. If I installed this behind the radiator, would this help reflect the heat into the room, instead of letting the wall absorb it?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-04, 07:41 AM
You will need to drain the heating system below the level of the radiator you need to remove. Be sure that you turn off the boiler if you drain it all the way. There should be unions on both sides of the radiator to disconnect it. It will have some water left in it and it will be very dirty so be prepared for that as you movi it. I don't think the aluminum facing is too important. The radiator gives most of its heat to the room by causing a convective airflow around it.

Ken

Old 03-25-04, 09:27 AM
Kens got it all here for you. Just one more thought. Turn off the water there at the auto fill. Also could be the water in it now will stink like H***. Thats ok ED

Old 04-07-04, 12:04 PM
pascal
Visiting Guest
Can you please give step-by-step directions for removing the unions?

thanks

Old 04-07-04, 12:18 PM
A union gives you a way to have a leak free connection and a way to disconnect the pipes without having to spin the radiator around to unscrew it. The way a union works is that it has 3 pieces. One piece screws into the radiator. That piece is called the spud. The second piece is a nut that slips over the spud before it is screwed into the radiator. The nut spins freely on the spud but is held on by a shoulder that is machined on the end of the spud. The third piece is threaded on the outside to match up with the threads on the nut and it also has pipe threads on the inside so you can build from there with iron pipe. The 2 fixed pieces of the union have machined faces so that they fit well together. One is a little like a funnel and the other fits into the funnel. Then the nut pulls them together until the brass seals up completely. To remove the unions all you have to do is put a wrench or large jaw pliers on the nut and unscrew it. On the left side of the radiator the top of the nut will come toward you as you loosen it. If the wrench handle was pointing straight up you would pull it toward you to loosen the nut. On the right side, it is the opposite. The top of the nut will go toward the wall to loosen it. Make sure the system is drained prior to loosening up the nut and all you will need is a small clearance on each end to disengage the unions after the nuts are off. Hope this answers your question.

Ken

Old 04-11-04, 12:47 PM
pascal
Visiting Guest
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!