Fluctuating psi in a gas boiler

Old 03-29-04, 10:15 AM
PJMorgan
Visiting Guest
Fluctuating psi in a gas boiler

The psi will go as high as 30 and as low as 12-15. When it gets up I bleed off water from the expansion tank and it drops back down to the 12-15 range after bleeding off only a gallon of water. Then after a few days it is right back up to 30 psi. any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-04, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Check the expansion tank. Is the blader good or the tank full of water . Do you get water out of the air schrader there on the tank.Is the auto water fill letting the water in there on you? Could turn off the water to the auto fill for a day or so and see if thats it.

ED

Old 03-29-04, 11:45 AM
PJMorgan
Visiting Guest
First and foremost thanks for the reply. Second...I am a novice so please bare with me. Where would the air schrader be on the tank?

The tank is a solid, no window to tell if it is full and it is mounted to the basement ceiling. There is basically a spiggot on the bottom. Would it be safe to attempt to empty it to see if the water ever stops coming out? If it does not stop I guess that would point to the bad auto water fill?

I estimate this sucker to be 35 - 40 gallons so it could take a while to empty it.

When you refernce shuting off the auto water fill...would that be to the boiler as a whole or somewhere else?

Thanks again!

Old 03-29-04, 12:09 PM
When you refernce shuting off the auto water fill...would that be to the boiler as a whole
There should be like a water line that goes to the boiler. it has a shut off in it and goes on into a bell like looking thing. Green red, gold . This should be the auto fill for the boiler so try and shut the water off to it and see if this will stop the fill. Is there a shut off in the line to that expansion tank. That you can shut off and drain the tank??????? ED

Old 03-29-04, 12:27 PM
PJMorgan
Visiting Guest
I am not at home right now but if memory serves, I think your description is spot-on. There are 2 lines coming out of the boiler with bell-shaped red structures. One appears to be water in and another an emergency water releif valve from the boiler (the outlet from that just goes to the floor). I am not sure if the expansion tank has a shut off.

Just curious what is the worse case scenario if this pressure rises too high when I am not home....will it "blow" or will I just probably have a basement full of water?

I have a 5 month old baby and cannot face any cold evenings but we probably only have a few more before spring kick in where I can have this shut down and fully checked out.

Old 03-29-04, 02:02 PM
Just curious what is the worse case scenario if this pressure rises too high when I am not home....will it "blow" or will I just probably have a basement full of water?
One appears to be water in and another an emergency water releif valve from the boiler (the outlet from that just goes to the floor).
This last should be the Pressure relief valve . It should go off at about 30 PSI

Ed

Old 03-29-04, 06:18 PM
PJMorgan
Visiting Guest
It is indeed a bad vavle somewhere. When i shut off the valve that allows water into the expansion tank the tank drained and satyed dry. So I turned off the water supply to the boiler. I assume this is a short term sollution correct? Can I run the boiler with the water supply to it shut off?

Old 03-30-04, 10:26 AM
Can I run the boiler with the water supply to it shut off?
Only if the psi stays at 12 -15 lb there on the gauge.

You did open the valve to the expansion tank,after you drained it. Let the water in to the 12 or 15 lb. then shut the water in off to the auto fill valve and see what it does . If it stays ok Id say you need a new auto fill

If everthing is ok a hot water boiler dont use much water.

You did bleed all the base boards with all this new water going in the boiler ?

ED