Hot water circulating when thermostat is off

Old 04-07-04, 04:57 PM
UngaWunga
Visiting Guest
Hot water circulating when thermostat is off

Have an interesting problem. When the thermostat is turned off, hot water will continue to occasionally flow through the radiators on one floor. We've had the thermostat turned off now for a few days, and the radiators are still hot. The boiler kicks off every now and then, and I notice that the radiators get hotter. We have two circuits, one for each floor connected to the same oil buring furnace. On the outlet from the furnace there is an expansion tank and then split going to each floor. Each split has a Taco SwetChek valve. Any idea what I should look for? Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-04, 01:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hot water circulating

A possibility of several things,
1) The thermostat is only connected to one of the zone valves, Do you have another thermostat in the area were the rad is still hot?
2) When both zone valves closes the auxiliary switch in both valves should have opened so that the pump shuts down. perhaps one of the switches is faulty.
3) There is a fault in the wiring.
4) you could always turn the burner off (presume the boiler doesn't also do your domestic hot water?

By the way you have a boiler not a furnace, a furnace produces hot air, A boiler produces hot water (or Steam)

Old 04-08-04, 07:39 AM
UngaWunga
Visiting Guest
Re: Hot water circulating

Originally posted by Narroc
A possibility of several things,
1) The thermostat is only connected to one of the zone valves, Do you have another thermostat in the area were the rad is still hot?
2) When both zone valves closes the auxiliary switch in both valves should have opened so that the pump shuts down. perhaps one of the switches is faulty.
3) There is a fault in the wiring.
4) you could always turn the burner off (presume the boiler doesn't also do your domestic hot water?
1) There is only one thermostat per zone.
2) Zone valves: how can I check if they're closing/opening?
3) I hope not...
4) Yes, it does supply the hot water for the rest of the house. Besides, I'd like to fix this properly.

Thanks.

Old 04-08-04, 07:58 AM
UngaWunga
Visiting Guest
Ok, did a little research. My system doesn't have zone valves. In fact, there looks like there's nothing to stop the water once it gets going. I tried closing the purge valve on the return side of both zones, but they don't seem to be stopping the water flow.

Time to put in a ball-valve purge valve and close them for the summer? The purge valves in there now are Watts PB56's.

Thanks.

Old 04-08-04, 11:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water is getting by the sweat check. They are supposed to stop flow unless the circulator is running but sometimes they hang up. Watts had a major problem with their flow checks a few years ago and every one leaked through. That caused the same problem you are having. Be sure the valve is in the 'auto' position which is when the wing nut is turned clockwise all the way. If you go counter-clockwise the valve is open and will allow flow by gravity. It may be a good idea to give it a slight tap after setting it in the auto position in case it is stuck. If that doesn't help, you should probably replace it.

Ken