Expansion tank air bleeder leaking water

Old 04-11-04, 06:44 AM
John Merva
Visiting Guest
Question Expansion tank air bleeder leaking water

The air bleeder on top of my expansion tank is leaking very slowly. The tank is only 5 yrs old and the system is 16 yrs old. Other than that everything seems to be functioning properly. Is this most likely a bad valve that needs replaced or is it symptomatic of some bigger problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-04, 08:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When you have water comeing out of the schrader valve on the expansion tank it means the bladder is shot. If that is the type of tank you have .

ED

Old 04-11-04, 08:45 AM
John Merva
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the quick reply. The leak is not at the bottom at the Schrader valve (where you pressurize the bladder) but at the top where the bleeder valve is that lets air out of the system. As I indicated, the expansion tank is fairly new. That is why I am thinking that the bleeder valve (not sure if this is the correct name for it) is the problem

Old 04-11-04, 09:41 AM
Lost here ?????????? The schrader valve where you put the air in is on the top of the tank.If you get water out of it Id say the bladder is shot. Or is this a bleeder down on the boiler? not a thing to do with the expansion tank? What the psi there on the boiler??

ED

Old 04-11-04, 10:13 AM
If you have an air scoop with the expansion tank screwed into the bottom, then the device on top is an automatic air vent. If you don't want to take the pressure off the system to change it right now, you can tighten the cap on top of it and that will stop the leaking. If there is no cap, you can bum one off your car or bicycle and try that. The system will work finf for many months like that and when you take pressure off for some other service, you can change the air vent at that time.

Ken

Old 04-11-04, 11:11 AM
John Merva
Visiting Guest
My expansion tank hangs below the main line coming from the boiler. It says it is charged to 12 psi (haven't checked it but system pressure is 12-13 psi). There is a Schrader valve on it's bottom for charging its' bladder (I think).

Above the main line is a Sparco FloatVent FV-150 with a Schrader valve on its top. I've always thought its purpose was to allow air to escape which is why I called it an air bleeder valve. This is the thing that is leaking. I did tighten the cap which was on it and it quit leaking. This is the thing I need to replace, right? I tapped the expansion tank and it is not waterlogged so I think it is OK.

Old 04-11-04, 11:33 AM
John Merva
Visiting Guest
When looking at the set up some more I noticed that the tank hangs from and the FloatVent sits on a red casting labeled Taco Air Scoop.

Old 04-11-04, 05:07 PM
You are correct. All you need to change is the air vent.

Ken