DIY Radiant Floor Heat

Old 04-23-04, 09:52 AM
merek007
Visiting Guest
DIY Radiant Floor Heat

We are looking at Radiant heat under hardwood floor. THe house is being build by us this summer. I don't like the hardness of concrete floors(foot problems) and am looking at tubing attached to joists or alum panels.

Does anyone have this system? Work OK? Comments.

Thanks

Derek

Old 04-23-04, 03:49 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You said two things that conflict. What does the concrete have to do with the hardwood? You would surely put carpet or something on the concrete so it is not the finished floor but the substrate. Please clear up my confusion and I will help as much as possible.

Ken

Old 04-24-04, 09:30 AM
merek007
Visiting Guest
DIY Radiant Floor Heat

What I mean is .... Even carpeting over concrete is unforgiving and hard. We plan on Hardwood over wood joists(with plywood subfloor) and the radiant tubing either attached to the joists or to the bottom of the subfloor with alum plates..

Thanks

Old 04-29-04, 12:35 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Underfloor heating

Gee, Don't you guys have rubber underlay over there?? I've seen carpeted floors which are as soft or even softer than wood. However if you have Asthma I can see why you would want to go hardwwod but they can be fairly hard too.

Old 09-20-04, 10:30 AM
Bobthebuilder
Visiting Guest
Radiant heat

I have just installed radiant floor heat under my hardwood floors with aluminum plates and next year will install in concrete ground floor.
What do you want to know?
In general I like the heat, although I have'nt gone through the winter with it yet (I also have wood stoves as back-up).
From everything I've read (and I've read a lot!) it's very effecient and very comfortable.
It tends to work better in concrete with say a tiled floor but is perfectly useable under wood.

hope this helps

bobthebuilder

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: