Removing kickspace heater

Old 05-13-04, 01:58 PM
Quicksilver
Visiting Guest
Question Removing kickspace heater

I want to remove a kickspace heater under a kitchen unit that is part of my central heating system. The pipes pop up through the floor boards and feed the heater. If I just cut the pipes and terminate them with an end cap will this be a problem? I am concerned when refilling the system air will just get trapped in the terminated pipes. The pipes will be covered by new kitchen base units and not accessible. Is this a bad idea?

Last edited by Quicksilver; 05-13-04 at 03:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-04, 06:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It probably is a bad idea to cap them above floor level. If monoflo tees were used, the best thing to do would be to connect them together. If there are no monoflo fittings and just a supply and return pipes, then you could cap them, but capping them closer to the mains would be better. Are the pipes accessible from the basement?

Ken

Old 05-14-04, 07:36 AM
Quicksilver
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your advice Ken. There is no basement, the supply/return pipes drop down from first floor and I now have access to these pipes, so I am going to cap them there. This will mean that the down pipes will fill with water and there will not be any air trapped. My next concern is that this water will be static, and will act as a trap for sludge. I dont know if thats good or bad?? Will the static water keep its oxygen and will it cause more corrosion than normal?

br
Paul

Old 05-14-04, 07:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There is no need for concern about oxygen, sludge, or corrosion. As long as you don't impede flow on tha circuit, you have no ill effects of dead heading those pipes.

Ken