water circulator

Old 05-29-04, 12:29 PM
tocaheat
Visiting Guest
water circulator

would like help determining if one water circulator is ok to run a two zone
have a one zone now attached to the return line, I was told I needed another
circulator,zone valve,plus relays to operate the circulator.
any suggestions, wich would work better.................

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-04, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think you are confused. If you add a circulator, you would not need a zone valve. I prefer the zone valve route and it uses the same circulator you already have. 99 out of 100 jobs can use the same circulator for multiple zones. If you have a 20,000 square foot house with 38 radiators, you may need another circulator. All you will need to add is 2 zone valves. You should remove the flow check (but don't have to) and add a zone valve for the existing system and one for the new loop. Bring the return for the new loop back into the main return AFTER the last radiator and before the pump and you have it made.

Ken

Old 08-17-04, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding a zone.

It's a preference thing. You need either 2 thermostats, 2 zone valves and the existing circulator, or 2 thermostats, no zone valves, 2 circulators, 2 flow checks and a way of controlling the circulators from the thermostats. Taco has a controller for 2 thermostats that has 2 circulator relays, 24VAC power and control circuitry in a green box to mount on your wall for about $92 discounted. They also have a similar single zone controller for $38 each or 2 for $76 and do the 2 zone job as well or better than the 2 zone box, which makes me wonder how they priced the 2 zone box $16 higher than 2 singles.

If your boiler is natural gas fired and the builder connected a gas water heater to the same 1/2 inch gas pipe, I would consider replacing the common gas piping with 3/4 inch to insure both units receive enough gas when both are running, else you may not have enough heat on the coldest days and the boiler size may be blamed erroneously. This may not be easy to do, since the larger pipe you need to connect to may be in the cieling or between walls. If the @#$% builder spent a buck or two on a larger supply pipe, we would not have this problem.