baseboard heat basics?

Old 06-16-04, 06:46 AM
MYS1
Visiting Guest
baseboard heat basics?

TIA for your patience with my ignorance!

Hi, I'm a new DIY'er (having just bought an old house) and I need beginner's information on steam baseboard heat.

My main questions are practical:

What is the most compelling reason not to block the baseboards? Is it that the heat will not reach the room, or is there a more important safety/furniture deterioration issue?

I realize this must seem a stupid question, but which way does most of the heat radiate from the radiators? What with all the fins and covers, I'm wondering if the heat is being redirected outward instead of upward.

How hot could/should the radiators get? Could I safely run coax, network, or phone cable along the top of it or next to it for a short distance?

What else, maintenance-wise (or otherwise), should I know about this type of heat?

Thank you so much!
--M--

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-04, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

What is the most compelling reason not to block the baseboards? Is it that the heat will not reach the room,
Yes think like this they warm the air it goes up so new cold air has to go over to it the get hot and go up also. You cant block them off they have to get the air all the time. Also that is why you want to vacuum under then now and then.

How hot could/should the radiators get? Could I safely run coax, network, or phone cable along the top of it or next to it
The temp on the boiler coud be like from 160o to 220o most work at 180o. So no dont put any wires there.

What else, maintenance-wise (or otherwise), should I know about this type of heat?
You dont say what you have there? Make sure the expansion tank is ok not water logged. Any pumps if they need oil.

ED