painting hot water pipes

Old 07-14-04, 05:22 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
painting hot water pipes

I have a hydronic hot water heating system. Pipes in the basement have surface rust. Is it ok to paint with a rust paint? One person I consulted advised that the pipes have to "breathe"? -- Yet I have seen other homes where the basement pipes (as well as the upstairs radiators and piping) are painted with no apparent ill effects? Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 07-15-04, 01:37 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wink Painting heating pipes.

??? breathe ?? never heard of steel heating pipes breathing. Hope they don't snore as well Ha Ha Ha. I would suspect the pipes may have been prevously painted with a water based paint. Clean off and prime with a oil based primer and then recoat with a good enamel. Do not use a water based paint on steel. Otherwise it gets the measles. Keep the pipes dry and then they won't rust again.

]I have a hydronic hot water heating system. Pipes in the basement have surface rust. Is it ok to paint with a rust paint? One person I consulted advised that the pipes have to "breathe"? -- Yet I have seen other homes where the basement pipes (as well as the upstairs radiators and piping) are painted with no apparent ill effects? Any advice would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Old 07-16-04, 06:38 PM
H
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
paint

If you decide to spray with rustoleum, open the windows, extinguish any open flame like a gas pilot on a burner or stove or water heater, setup a fan in and out by the window.... pipes are painted all the time... have at it...

Old 07-17-04, 07:02 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jdsaint
One person I consulted advised that the pipes have to "breathe"?
Now that's a good one...

Follow what Narroc suggests just don't do it while the pipes are hot.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: