3 zone to 4 wiring

Old 08-18-04, 08:44 AM
firesandy
Visiting Guest
Question 3 zone to 4 wiring

Hope soemone can help. I have a 3 zone honeywell system... all three working well together. A contractor, adding a room on my house, ran a 4th leg, installed a 4th honeywell valve and wired up the thermostat and valve incorrectly. All three original zones work ok, but the 4th does not respond to a thermostat change.

Does anyone now of a website that would show the appropriate wireing schematic for such an upgrade? Thanks !!!!!

Firesandy

(PS: My two loves of life: Being a fireman and my dog, sandy)

Old 08-18-04, 10:58 AM
Homer Simpson
Visiting Guest
Model # Please

Is it a Honeywell V8043F zone valve? F means with a black terminal block on
the end of the valve with screws for connecting wires. Inside of the cap or
stamped on the rear of the valve is the model #.

For all valves it is wired this way. The End Switch(two top screws) run two wires to the End Switch screws on one of the other old valves. The End Switch turn the boiler on. The boiler is already connected to all of the old valve End Switches, so you only need to connect to one of the old valves.

If it is the wired type valve , I believe that there are four wires coming out of the valve, two red and two yellow. I think that the red are the end switch and the yellow is the motor. If you connect a continuity meter to the red wires you would have no continuity, and that would be the End Switch. Do this with all of the wires disconnected. Connect to the red wire or End Switch
on one of the old valves. This is the easy part. Now, the hard part.

An Overview. A transformer scondary has two outputs at 24 Volts. One lead
connect to all of the zone valves( the TR screw on the F and one yellow wire
on the other model). The other transformer lead connect to one wire going
to the thermostat. The other wire coming from the thermostat connects to the particular zone valve that the thermostat controls. That wire connects to the TH screw on the F or the other yellow wire on other model. The TH-TR connection is just a blank tie on the F model.

Usually, the thermostats make their connection at the zone valve ( in and out). One wire ( two conductor) goes from the transformer to the zone valves. All the connections are usually done at the zone valves.

Now, if your zone valves are running off of the aquastat transformer, you
are not going to have enough current to run more than three Honeywell
zone valves. The current draw for a Honeywell zone valve is 3.3VA.
The aquastat current draw and zone valves current draw must be added
together with damper controls and exra relays,etc.. The transformer must
be rated for the total current draw. Aquastat transformers are rated from
20--40 VA. So check to see if you need an auxillary transformer.
Say goodbye, Homer. Goodbye

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: