Minimizing heat loss through exhaust vent of my steam boiler

Old 09-20-04, 04:04 AM
D
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts

I want to minimize the heat loss in the winter through the vent of my steam boiler.

During a cold winter day, there has to be a huge amount of somewhat heated house air from the basement that rushes up the boiler vent into the chimney, along with some pilot exhaust, during the `down' times of the heating cycle of my steam fired boiler.

Is there any device that I can put in my vent that will minimize the heat loss during these down times? I am thinking the vent could be open partially during the down times and fully open when the burner is on?

Actually, the same question applies to my gas fired boiler also...

Old 09-21-04, 06:37 PM
H
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes

a motorized stack vent damper I think Tjerland makes them. It has an end switch that makes the boiler after being energized. An easier concern is to envelope your burner with a fresh outdoor air supply. Kits are available that attach to your burner unit and go through the wall, much like a drier vent. This way, when the burner starts, it doesn't pull in cold air through all the cracks in the house, causing you to have to heat that air again to overcome the loss.

Old 11-20-04, 04:16 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hvac is right. There are a few things to be concerned about with an oil system. You need a minute or two after the cycle to let the majority of the combustion heat escape so you don't radiate it into the burner tube and coke up the parts. If you bring in outside air for combustion you will want to try to prevent natural convection from stripping all the heat out of the boiler. It will happen quickly if the chimney draws 10 degree air in through the burner after a run cycle. The outside air idea is good because it prevents all the infiltration that the burner creates. If you can come up with the damper (I haven't seen one for oil systems but I will look on Tjernlund's web site) and a short time delay, and couple that with an outside air intake, you may have a good thing going.

Ken

Old 11-22-04, 07:54 AM
D
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts

Hi, I should have clarified more, I have a gas fired steam boiler - does that make a difference from what you explained?

As the heating bill alone is $2,600 a year on this big house, I ponder what actually happens to the heat in this house.

Old 11-22-04, 01:16 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You can probably add a vent damper to your system. Be sure to have a carbon monoxide detector in the house. The outside air is not much of a possibility with a standard gas boiler but the damper will take care of that pretty well.

Ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: