Timken boiler woes

Old 09-24-04, 01:04 PM
britawiltsh
Visiting Guest
Timken boiler woes

Is anyone out there familiar with the workings of the Timken oil boilers. Where do you adjust the combustion air entering the burner? It seems to be trying to draw combustion air back through the barometric damper on the flue.

Old 09-24-04, 01:44 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Do you have room for make up air for the burner? Its not in a closed room. Have you check the flue its ok????What kind of draft do you get there? This dont sound right. When was the last time the burner was serviced and what done?????? info info helps. The last time I ran into this the
squirrels had made a home in the flue.

ED

Old 09-24-04, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I hope you are kidding. I ripped out the last Timken I ever hope to see over 10 years ago.

It needs to be replaced. I think all the good Timken repairmen are dead.

Ken

Old 10-11-06, 09:54 PM
Timken Boilers

Maybe he has the last one but I couldn't believe my Dad just sent me this when I said that I thought this thread was funny
>>>
I don't see why the lol.??

When the service men used to come to service it, they asked to take pictures of it.

Old 10-12-06, 01:19 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

If this is the Timken Im thinking of it spun flat to throw the oil out and you had to burn #1 only

ED

Old 10-12-06, 06:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Timken

I've never seen a Timken much less worked on one. If I remember right they used a rotory cup burner. This may get deleted by those above me but the only place I know of where you might be able to get some help is at www.heatinghelp.com. There are a lot of New Englanders on that site & there used to be a lot of Timkens in New England. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Old 10-13-06, 08:04 PM
sounds like the way I remember it worked

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately all I found were old sales brocures for units that must be a few decades more modern.

Looks like my dad may have a retrofit unit. But the diagrams should help, and maybe he can get on here to ask about the felt gasket he needs because I have no idea what he is talking about.

But this is very cool (or should I say hot?)
"This one is actually a forced air unit, but it was sold by the place that sold the one in our house."
http://www.heatinghelp.com/pdfs/165.pdf
I think he needs a new gasket for part J anyway

Last edited by gabestr; 10-13-06 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-13-06, 10:40 PM
I think it's finally time for a new boiler dad

"quote"
I didn't answer a question.

My leak comes from under the fire chamber and the oil runs down the bx-like cable that sends the electricity up to make the propeller spin. It ends up on the floor next to the 'control stand'. I place a section of the Reader under the control stand and it absorbs the oil and i throw it out. Certainly a bit dangerous, and i only use the boiler now that the family is gone, when I am there. This won't work all winter, but then again, I have managed for several winters by now. The gasket, which someone told was felt, must seal off the little chamber where the oil lies before it it thrown against the walls. The spreaders I have in backwards, but I was following what the service men have done. I now see how they should go, I think, and maybe that will distribute the flame more?

I am making a soup now.

Thanks for the help.
"close quote"
good luck it sounds like you might be able to service that old thing after all

Old 10-13-06, 11:03 PM
T
timkens rule

Gabe:

All you young guys want all the new stuff. I still use the oilcobverstion unit because it is simple; it has one moving part, it is, I think, fairly thrifty, I can do some things on it myself, and probably more with this forum. But most of all it has a PERSONALITY. Pics will follow soon. It also has a beautiful hum when it is running. Replacing it would involve a stainless steel chimmney liner, and I don't want to pay for that in a house that I may not own for much longer.

The gasket I need is the one that seals the oilchamber where the spinner is from the electic bx-like cable that riuns from the control stand to the spinner/oil thrower. Any ideas for how to make one?

jfm

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: