Can 2 Zones use the same pipe for a few feet?

Old 09-28-04, 03:53 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Can 2 Zones use the same pipe for a few feet?

Hi, I am starting to install a 3rd zone in my finished lower level in my hydronic baseboard heating system.

I started to notice that 50% of my 3/4 inch copper pipe runs will be exactly adjacent to an existing loop.

Can I tie into that pipe as long as I exit it before it returns to the zone valve without messing up anything (such as in the case where BOTH zones are running)?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I had someone recommend closing my air vent located on the negative side of the circ. pump. Since I'm redoing everything, should I remove it? I plan on putting one where the Pressure release valve goes and there's another at the air scoop too. Plz see photo at:

www.tonytonini.com/boiler1.jpg

Old 09-29-04, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Take that air vent out and put your 3rd zone valve right there. You cannot share any return pipes because that is where the zone valves are. You could share part of the supply if it helps save pipe. Just make sure you tee in before it goes through any baseboard.

Your air vent should be in a tee right where they have your relief valve. There was a label right on the top jacket of your New Yorker that showed how they wanted it done. The supply tapping is dipped into the top of the boiler about a half inch and the air gets trapped at the top and is supposed to get vented out right at the front corner. Unfortunately, nobody paid attention to that and did what you have on your boiler. Get a 3/4" black tee and put it where the coupling is now under your relief valve. Screw the relief valve into the side of it and pipe it to within 6" of the floor like code requires. Then get a 3/4 X 1/8 black bushing and put it into the top of the tee and put a good quality automatic air vent (Like a Taco Hy-Vent) into that. You will save a lot of aggravation. You would save more aggravation and some oil to boot if you retired that vertical tube boiler too.

Ken

Old 09-29-04, 11:37 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Kfield,

Thank you for your reply.

I want to clarify something about sharing part of the pipe, because I can't see any problems with it, so I think we're not envisioning the same thing here.

I'm saying that the zone valve would split off of the shared pipe at some point. My new basement zone will branch off the 1" main just like the previous 2 two zones. At some point, It would "T" into one of the existing zone's pipe (flowing in the same direction, of course). Then 25 ft. later, the basement zone exits the shared pipe right to the NEW (3rd) zone valve I will be installing.

The only thing I can think of as a problem is that the flow would slow down a little when BOTH zones are are open. And in my case I"m OK with that because it will be rare when both are, since we never would be using both zones at the same time.

PLZ let me know what you think: I am tapping into it later today if possible.

Thank you!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: