thermostat problem

Old 09-29-04, 09:03 AM
R
rlabonte
Visiting Guest
thermostat problem

I have a honeywell thermostat model t87f. I have a forced hot water system that is about 29 years old. The thermostat is level. It seems to go 4 degrees or so higher than what I have it set at before the heat stops. When the top temp reaches the bottom temp it starts, so there isn't a problem starting in time. It just goes to high before the heat stops. Is there any way to stop it earlier.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-04, 09:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What you have is called overshoot. It is when the heat left in the radiators causes the room temp to rise after the thermostat is satisfied.

All you may need to do is adjust the heat anticipator in the thermostat.

Pull off the outer ring and look at the lower right side of the thermostat. You will see a scale of numbers and a sliding gold pointer. Move the pointer up toward the top to .4 or less and see how it works. What it does is generate a small amount of heat while there is a call for heat and triick the thermostat into turning off a little sooner (or a lot sooner) than it would otherwise. Its purpose is to prevent the situation you now have.

I can only assume that the house is on a single zone and that there are no other issues with the heating system that would interact with the thermostat.

Ken