New home owner needs advice

Old 10-03-04, 03:51 PM
ldd2
Visiting Guest
New home owner needs advice

We just moved into a new house with a Plymouth Steam Series 2 boiler with the electronic ignition. This is our first time turning it on. It heated for about twenty minutes and everything seemed fine. Then it started making loud banging sounds and the water in the glass indicator turned black and separated.

I turned it off and drained it and added new water. Should I turn it back on and if so, what should I expect to happen? I know nothing about these things. What caused the banging sounds and is that a bad thing?

Please answer soon because it's really getting cold here!

Thank you,
Mike

Old 10-03-04, 04:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Then it started making loud banging sounds and the water in the glass indicator turned black and separated.
I take it this is steam???? Was it cold when you drained it and add new water???? Do you have a low water cut off there is it clean and working??With a auto feed for it????
I think it would pay you to call a tech and go over the boiler. Be there so he can show how it all works.

ED

Old 10-03-04, 05:11 PM
ldd2
Visiting Guest
New homeowner needs advice

Hi!

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

This is a gas fired steam boiler. The boiler was hot when Mike flushed it (did not drain it just exchanged some of the water). Could that have damaged the system? According to the manual, this boiler does have a low water cut off. It says it is an electronic probe type LWCO. The probe is located in the boiler and will shut down the burners if the h20 level falls below the probe for a period of 10 seconds. I don't know where to look to see if it has an autofeed and the manual doesn't mention any. Do you have enough information to know if the banging sound could be related to the burner? The manual says that if the burner is noisy then the gas input amount is incorrect.

We just took possession of this house last month and have never had steam heating before. Can you recommend any resource that we could learn more about boiler heating? We are really ignorant about all of this type of stuff.

It sounds like we should just bundle up and call the heating company tomorrow. Would you know what we should expect to pay for someone to go over our system with us (NE Ohio)?

Thanks again for your help!

Lesa

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: