Peerless boiler possible leak?

Old 10-08-04, 09:05 AM
jeredenb
Visiting Guest
Peerless boiler possible leak?

I have a peerless boiler, not sure on age but assuming it is approx 20 years old. Last winter my heat went out while we were out of town and the house froze up cracking all of our cast iron radioators. They were all replaced with copper fin tube baseboard heating. My question is when I cleaned the boiler to get it ready for this year the the soot in the bottom of the water jacket(in the fins above the combustion chamer) is wet and muddy. The chamber material is wet and soggy and is rust colored. Also over the summer the front of the boiler and jacket are severly rusting. What would cause this and what would you suggest doing?

Old 10-08-04, 11:17 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It sounds like what happens to a boiler that is not used over the summer and the dampness from the basement gets into it. I have seen similar problems when the domestic hot water coil is used as a pre-heater for a water heater and the boiler is turned off and being chilled by the cold water going through it. You are well on your way to ruining that boiler. You should leave it turned on and set to a low temp or get a boiler that isn't damaged by sitting cold.

Ken

Old 10-10-04, 09:48 AM
jeredenb
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply...but it runs all summer, it has a tankless coil and this is what we use to supply our hot water. I don't believe the coil is leaking, but it may. Is it possible to replace just the tankless portion, or to remove it completely and get a stand alone heater?

Old 10-10-04, 04:33 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It should never get cool enough to condense water inside. I suspect there may be a leak in the boiler. Water from a leaking domestic coil would not get inside the boiler usually. It may be difficult to find the leak or even to know if it is a leak. One way would be to note the water pressure and turn of the feed water. See if the pressure drops over a few days or week. If it does, it may be another sign of a leak in the boiler.

Ken

Old 10-10-04, 05:21 PM
jeredenb
Visiting Guest
Thank You for your help, I will turn off the feed tomorrow morning and monitor it throughout the day to see if it is loosing pressure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: