circulating pump will not stop

Old 10-11-04, 12:25 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
circulating pump will not stop

the system has worked well. it is a newer burhnam boiler with three zones. the aquastat is honeywell R8182 [no letter after the number]. in the past the pump has turned on and off with the oil fired hot water boiler. this weekend the pump started with the furnace, but it no longer turns off when the furnace stops. in other words the pump always runs. there was no work done to any of the system this weekend, EXCEPT that i cut one cast iron radiator out of the series loop. i had to drain a lot of the system to do this. i did use 3/4 copper to complete the loop in place of the missing radiator. as far as i know, the system has water back in it. is there any way that a low water condition or air in the system can cause the pump to keep circulating even if the boiler has shut off?? i can say that the boiler responds to the thermostats and turns on and off by changing the thermostat temperature. i hope i do not have to replace the expensive aquastat. is there any way to figure out what is wrong? when i use a plastic blade to open the pump solenoid points, the pump stops, but as soon as i release the pressure, the pump points close again and the pump starts.

Old 10-11-04, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It sounds like a shorted wire between the zone valves and the aquastat. Take one of the wires off one of the T terminals in the aquastat and see if the relay drops out. If it does (which I think it will) trace the wires back to the zone valves and find the short. If they are Taco zone valves, you may have bumped the wires when you opened the valve manually to drain the zone. Let us know if you need more help or if this does not fix your problem.

Ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: