Boiler Reset; worth it?

Old 10-12-04, 08:54 AM
BostonB
Visiting Guest
Question Boiler Reset; worth it?

I recently converted my single zoned, tankless hot water, 2700 sq victorian house in MA from a single zone to heating 2 zones (seperating the 3rd from 2nd floor was cost prohibitive) + an indirect hot water heater zone. The burner is oil fired.

I now a 3 zone system controlled by a Taco SR503 EXP. I have been reading about outside boiler resets, and while browsing the Taco site i noticed the PC700 or PC702. I called a distrubuter and I can get one for about $300. Do they work? Are they worth it? Which one would i need, since i have an indirect hot water storage tank? Advice on setting it up?

Thanks

B

Old 10-12-04, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would recommend setting the low limit at around 110 degrees and the high at 180. You can probably reduce the firing rate of the boiler now that you don't need instantaneous hot water generation. If you can put the indirect on a priority zone, you may be able to run the boiler at its smallest nozzle size. What is the boiler and what are the min and max firing rates? What is it fired at now? You can probably save the same amount of fuel by adjusting the boiler to do its job as efficiently as possible without spending the $300.

Ken

Old 10-14-04, 08:17 PM
BostonB
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down More Information

KField,

Thanks for your posting. There is a new twist in my saga. It seems the plumber/electrician are having trouble getting my burner to operate properly. I have the Honeywell L8124 control and the burner is still trying to keep itself at the low temp set on the dial. I have tried removing the "blue" wire as I have seen recommeded in other posts with no avail. This change results in the burner never firing, though the circulator does come on. What is going on? I suppose i could wait for them to figure it out but my curiosity has me wrapped up. What is happening is the burner is still firing every 2-3 hours to keep the temp up even if there is no call for heat/hot water. How does one disable the burner from coming on without a heat call?

2nd question. If the low temp is set to 110 the curculator seems to run forever trying to reach the 120-130 range i desire for my water heater. What does the Diff setting do? According to the manual for the hot water heater the burner setting should be at least 20+ more than the desired hot water temp. Seems to make sense to me. What am i missing?

To your previous points. The burner is a Beckett flame retention AFG series with a .85 tip? The boiler is a weil-mclain gold series GTO series boiler, i think it is rated at 120,000 - 140,000 (sorry it is far away now) BTU?

Old 10-15-04, 04:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It sounds like you want your cake and be able to eat it too. If you have a cast iron boiler that has 400+ lbs of mass to heat up and then you put 12 gallons of water in it, it will take 'forever' to heat up. If it has a domestic coil or a blank coil plate on it, I would not recommend shutting the burner down between cycles. You will cause that gasket to leak and be replacing it or the boiler much sooner than you would like. If you don't want to maintain temp, you should put on the L8148 aquastat. If you ever had a fire in the house and the wiring of the aquastat was changed, especially since your high limit is in there too, you may not get any insurance money. Not worth the risk.

If you want to see a boiler that works the way a boiler should in the year 2004 go to www.energykinetics.com

It uses the same burner that your boiler does but the boiler is steel and weighs about 175 lbs. and holds 2.5 gallons of water. Thats where hydronic heating technology is going.

Ken

Old 10-15-04, 06:23 AM
BostonB
Visiting Guest
Thanks!

KField,

Thanks for your info. The electricians arrived this morning to resolve the "issue" by replacing the aquastat.

Your comments about shutting down v. not shutting down are interesting and well taken. Which gasket are you refering to? One one on the coil plate? I will keep an eye on that.

The new burner technology looks very interesting. It frankly looks like a technology i might be intereted in someday. I cant really afford a new burner now, I am done for the near future. Indirect, new zones, new oil tank. Thanks for the advice. Very helpful.

B

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: