adding radiant heat to old hot water system

Old 10-13-04, 02:19 PM
scotty1964
Visiting Guest
adding radiant heat to old hot water system

I have an old house built in the late 1890's. It has a hot water heat system with the original radiators. The boiler was replaced when we bought the house 3 years ago. At that time, the heating contractor that installed the boiler added a new feed stub and return stub for us to add radiant heat to the existing system (basically also adding a new zone). I have had a difficult time finding out what are all the necessary parts needed to add a radiant zone to an existing hot water system. I know that you need a mixing valve to lower the temp of the water. What about circulating pumps? manifolds? etc... anybody out there that has experience with this type of situation? HELP!!! Scotty

ps...there is a pump attached to the boiler at the beginning of the feed line.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-04, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How many loops of radiant tube do you have and what lengths are they? You can't know what the primary loop requirements are until you know what the secondary loop consists of.

Ken

Old 10-18-04, 08:06 AM
scotty1964
Visiting Guest
There will be two loops: one for our kitchen/breakfastroom and one for our sunporch. I am not certain what the lengths will be of each loop. Also, these loops will begin near the back of the house - does that require extending hard piping to there start locations from the boiler, or can I run the tubing all the way back to the boiler? My gut tells me to use hard piping from the boiler to the locations of the loops, then split off the two loops from there, each with their own mixing valve and thermostat...