What are my options for bad hot water coil?

Old 10-16-04, 06:29 AM
clinty1
Visiting Guest
What are my options for bad hot water coil?

Hello, 1st time user of the forum so I appreciate any info regarding my situation.

I have a HB Smith boiler and the hot water coil seems to have a buildup within it. I have heard you can get them acid-flushed or install a new coil. I called the plumbing shop and they said a coil would be about $180. I looked at my boiler and it looks real clean, all the bolts and surfaces are very clean. I can't see any corrosion, rust, etc. I have heard these are a real pain to change and you never know what you are going to be getting in to. The HB Smith boiler is a B Series S/W-5, Serial Number: D88 917P (manufactured in 1987) and the coil plate says "Heat Transfer Products" on it. Anybody have any experience changing these out?

Also, I have heard people disconnect the coil and install a seperate heater for hot water. Any tips on this and what would that cost me to do?

Thanks a bunch, Clint

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-04, 09:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

You can acid clean the coil right there in the boiler if you want. Get a bucket some muractic acid. A cheap drill pump and some hose. Take the water lines in and out of the coil off. Mix water and acid in bucket50/50. Put a hose from bucket to drill pump, a hose from pump to water in at the coil. A hose from out of the coil back to the bucket . Turn it on and let it run. Might need more acid in the water as it runs.

ED

Old 10-23-04, 08:17 AM
macrophyllum
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
You can acid clean the coil right there in the boiler if you want. Get a bucket some muractic acid. A cheap drill pump and some hose. Take the water lines in and out of the coil off. Mix water and acid in bucket50/50. Put a hose from bucket to drill pump, a hose from pump to water in at the coil. A hose from out of the coil back to the bucket . Turn it on and let it run. Might need more acid in the water as it runs.
As anyone tried this? If so, have you had much luck. My coil is on its way out (hot water pressure is very low), but I am thinking of installing a on-demand electric hot water heater so that I don't need to rely on oil in the summer months. Any comments/suggestions most welcome.
~Ian

Old 10-23-04, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Have cleaned out many a coil this way "Mac." In boilers water cooled Ac units On boats for the ac coils there and engine cooling coils.

ED