Smoking Carlin burner

Old 10-16-04, 04:04 PM
banddad
Visiting Guest
Angry Smoking Carlin burner

Our Carlin burner was serviced 9/7, and when first started for the season 10/12 filled the basement with rancid blue smoke, setting off smoke detectors, etc. The second service put on a smaller nozzle, cleaned and adjusted electrodes, etc, and when he left it worked. Today (2 days after service) I turned the thermostat up for the first time, furnace didn't start. Pushed the reset button (once, just like they say...), and it kicked right in, puffing black/blue smoke into the basement through the little viewing port, but not as bad as the first time. It also started to have white smoke from seams and vents around the boiler. The basement smells awful. Turned it off, called for service, and now I wait.

I also have smoke coming from my ears, and question if the service company is incompetent, or if there is something else wrong, or what. I can't have smoke every time the boiler cycles, and I can't spend my life at home waiting for a service repair guy who never arrives within 24 hours of the call. Any ideas or suggestions>

Old 10-16-04, 04:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

There are a lot of what if here, when your not there. But I think Id find a different tech to work on it. A smaller nozzle is not the answer. Did they check the transformer there on the burner?

ED

Old 10-16-04, 06:34 PM
banddad
Visiting Guest
They just left. Turns out one of the springs that are supposed to touch the eletrodes didn't have good enough contact. That's pretty darn close to a transformer problem in my book!

Thanks!

Old 10-17-04, 01:24 PM
banddad
Visiting Guest
Try, try again

When it didn't start this AM, I didn't even try the reset button. The tech found a thread of carbon shorting the electrodes, and decided the nozzle was too small. He went to a 60 degree nozzle, cleaned and reassmembled, and tightened the electodes, which he said were loose and could shift from vibration.

He said it did not appear to be the transformer, just the nozzle and electrodes. It's worked all day. We'll see.

Old 10-19-04, 01:59 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Did you get a new tech here yet???? If you had an 80 degree nozzle in there you should keep and 80 degree one in there . The nozzle is set to fit the fire chamber. You can change the size of the nozzle but not the degree.

The tech found a thread of carbon shorting the electrodes, and decided the nozzle was too small. He went to a 60 degree nozzle, cleaned and reassmembled, and tightened the electodes, which he said were loose and could shift from vibration.
This is the third time there-------carbon on the electrodes
Loose and could shift.
Get a new tech there for sure

ED

Old 10-19-04, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Carlin burners are pretty touchy on nozzles and electrode settings. Carlins almost always use a 60 degree nozzle. Sometimes even a 45 degree one. I can't say I ever saw a Carlin that called for a 70 or an 80. The electrodes must be set correctly too and Carlins settings are different than most others. If your tech doesn't know how to get your burner set up just right, you may need to find someone who does. It will carbon up and sound like a truck running through the basement and then smoke and make a mess. Don't let the problem go on too long or you may have a housecleaning job to do.

Just another note about the springs. Carlin 99 and 100 CFR and FRD burners didn't use spring terminals. They used flat contact terminals and round busses from the electrodes. If someone changed things around in there, you may have the wrong parts and they may not work well together.

Ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: