zone valve keeping heat on? its getting hot :)

Old 10-17-04, 06:08 PM
J_M
Visiting Guest
zone valve keeping heat on? its getting hot :)

I have a thermostat that is connected to a honeywell zone valve (solenoid?). It looks like one wire from the thermostat connects to the valve.

I needed to disconnect the wires going to the boiler because it was always on, even when the thermostat was turned off or disconnected. Could the Honeywell valve be causing a short that is in turn causing the heat to remain on?

Any ideas on how to test the valve? would a continuity tester applied to the red wires indicate a short?

If I were to fix the valve in an open position could I just run the single wire from the thermostat to the boiler?

thanks in advance,

j

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-04, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can tellif the valve is stuck open by moving the manual operation lever. You should feel it open the valve and you can watch the lever move back to the closed position. If the valve is open all the time because power is applied, the thermostat wire may be pinched. A short in the thermostat wire looks like a call for heat to the zone valve.

If you fix the valve in the open position you will get more unwanted circulation than you have now.

Ken