don't know what kind of thermostat should I buy?

Old 10-19-04, 02:46 PM
kulong
Visiting Guest
don't know what kind of thermostat should I buy?

Here is my heating system
I use one gas burner for my home heating. for first floor and second floor, it use steam heating, the control thermostat is 24 vac.
for the basement, it use hot water system, the thermostat use 2 wire, when I measure the wires, it shown 125 volts.
both steam heating and hot water heating are using same gas burner.
I have no problem use the 24 volts thermostat to control the heating in 1st floor and 2nd floor.
But for the basement, I want to replace a digital programmer thermostat, but I found out most digital thermostat use 24 volts.
Can I just buy a 120 volts digital thermostat to replace the basement old mechanic thermostat control? or can I buy a transformer to reduce the 120 volts to 24 volts then use 24 volts digital thermostat, is it work this way?

thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-04, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you use a Honeywell RA89 relay, you can install that in the basement and then take a 2 conductor thermostat wire up to the thermostat instead of the heavy wires yo uhave there now. They must be running the circulator directly with that line voltage thermostat.

Ken

Old 10-20-04, 09:34 AM
kulong
Visiting Guest
hi,
Thank you for the reply, can you give me more explanation of "They must be running the circulator directly with that line voltage thermostat."
I found out in my basement, there is a swithch which if I turn it off, there thermostat wire would have no power. the other end of the swithch seems connect to a pump or something to regulate the hot water, so if I install the honeywell ra89, should I install above the swithch.

some device"""""""""""""""""110voltage """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""24vol
" to the burner"------ switch-----hoeneywell ra 89(is it install here?)-----"to thermostat"
is it a correct way to install honeywell ra 89 relay?

by the way, I can't find honeywell RA89 relay homedepot, where can I buy this product

thank you

Old 10-20-04, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Picture it this way. Install the RA89 in place of the switch. The relay will have a place for 110 volts to come in and a place for 110 volts to go out (to the circulator). Then it will have 2 terminals for the thermostat to connect to. The thermostat wires will go there instead of in line with the switch. The transformer is built into the relay box. You don't really need the switch anymore anyway. I hope that makes sense to you.

I don't know where to tell you to find the relay. Any heating supplier should have them. Ebay is another possible source. It should not cost more than $30 I think.

Ken