zone thermostat wired wrong

Old 10-20-04, 11:16 AM
SkiMangoJazz
Visiting Guest
zone thermostat wired wrong

Hi, my house has 5 heating zones on a forced hot water by oil system. One is split into three subzones each with it's own thermostat and valve control The one that seems to have been wired incompletely controls a wall mounted Modine heater in my garage/workshop.

That thermostat only controls the zone valve and doesn't call for heat from the boiler. I need to wire it (I assume in parallel) to one of the others, but have no idea which of the wires to tie into.

Can someone give me a basic wiring scheme description for how to do this?

Thanks,
Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-04, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the others all work, just tell us what brand the zone valves are and we can help you from there.
Ken

Old 10-20-04, 10:29 PM
SkiMangoJazz
Visiting Guest
Hi,

All the zone valves work, including the one to the Modine. The other valves are all Honeywll, with 5 terminals, the valve to the Modine is a Taco with 3 terminals - the top two of which go to the transformer.

The thermostats are basic circular Honeywell ones.

Seems like an easy wiring job, I just need to see a diagram, or have the scheme described.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Old 10-21-04, 06:30 AM
If the top 2 go to the transformer then the valve will be open all the time. The thermostat needs to break the 24 volts to the top 2 terminals to regulate the heat. The middle and bottom terminals are the end switch. They would go go the same place the end switches on the Honeywells do. Make sure you have a large enough 24 volt transformer for all those valves. The Taco draws about 1 amp all by itself.

Ken

Old 10-21-04, 12:13 PM
SkiMangoJazz
Visiting Guest
Hi Ken, It does really seem that this valve goes on and off as I can feel the pipe is cold until I turn up the thermostat.

As to the transformer size, how do I determine the size needed and the size of the one I have?

Finally on one of the Honeywells with 5 terminals, divided into 2 and 3; which of those are the ones connected to the end switch wires from the thermostats - do you know? The wires run through the wall, so I'm not certain which wires come from the thermostat, and which go to the basement.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 10-21-04, 01:21 PM
I didn't mean that I doubted that it worked, but if you knew for sure that the wires came from the transformer and went to terminals 1 & 2, then the valve WOULD be open all the time.

Take the cover off of the zone valve and see which terminals the red wires connect to. those are your end switch. They should go to terminals 2 & 3 on the taco valve.

Ken