nolonger need domestic hot water control

Old 10-20-04, 05:01 PM
dspowell
Visiting Guest
nolonger need domestic hot water control

I have an oil fired boiler for water circulating heat. Apparently the boiler also was used at some time for domestic hot water. It is no longer used for hot water, only for house heating. The aquastat (Honeywell R8182D) continues to operate as if it were supplying hot water, ie it always keeps water between high and low settings, even when the thermostat is turned off, or during the summer. This obviously wastes lots of oil. As a temporary fix, I have been flipping a breaker to kill all power to the boiler/aquastat during warm months, which works, but is a pain in the butt. I also have a digital programmable thermostat which gets it's power from the aquastat, so killing all power also kills it.

Is there a way to rewire or change the aquastat so that it only heats water when needed to heat the house, and doesn't try to always keep the water ready for domestic hot water?

Hope this makes sense, and any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Darrell

Old 10-20-04, 07:57 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There is no inexpensive solution. I wouldn't recommend altering the wiring inside that control. It costs a fortune as it is. I don't know what boiler you have but you may ruin it in a few years of turning it off over the summer. I would set the low limit as low as it goes (110) and let it run.

Ken

Old 10-23-04, 10:16 AM
dspowell
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice. I just have one question concerning setting the low point all the way down... if I do that, when there's a call for heat by the thermostat, won't it start circulating water and keep circulating until the water temp drops to the low point? Would that cool off the radiators too much?

Old 10-23-04, 02:57 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Actually you will find it more comfortable that way. The only time you need 180 degree water in your radiators is when it is 0 or below outside. You will have less pipe expansion noise and a warm radiator is all you need on a cool day. Hopefully the thermostat will be satisfied before the boiler reaches the high limit. If it goes up to high limit real fast, you can have your serviceman put in a smaller nozzle and that will also increase the efficiency. There is no down side to what you did.

Ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: