Bell and Gossett Booster Pump issues...

Old 10-21-04, 11:54 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bell and Gossett Booster Pump issues...

One of my Bell and Gossett series 100 pumps is leaking between the bearing assembly and the pump body. I am debating on whether to tear it apart and replace the gaskets, if the bearing assembly is shot too or to just replace the hole unit. Any suggestions or recommendations from your expereinces? Thanks!

Old 10-21-04, 12:28 PM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Tear that dinasaur out and replace it with a Taco 007 wet rotor pump. you can get one for around $75, which wouldn't even begin to pay for the seal bearing ass'y for the b&g 100.
Trust me, I've been there

Old 10-21-04, 01:23 PM
I agree.

Ken

Old 10-22-04, 05:12 AM
G
I am considering replacing it with a Taco 007 all together. It looks like it should fit right in without having to replace the flanges, correct? Is the height of the Taco the same as the B&G? Thanks! The pump is in the basement and it has to heat an apartment 2 stories up.

Old 10-22-04, 05:30 AM
It will fit right in there. That's no accident. It's made ti fit. The only difference is that the motor is turned 90 degrees from your old one. It doesn't matter on 99% of jobs but there is always thet one where the motor can't fit in and the flanges need to be turned 90 degrees too. That's no big deal either but I wanted to warn you. Since you have to break the system open anyway, it's a no-brainer to put in the ner pump. You will be glad you did.

Ken

Old 03-18-06, 09:26 AM
repeat I am sure - taco vs Bell replacement.

Ok i think i am 90% ready to pull the triger on replaceing the Bell Gossett 100 with the taco.
i have an apartment building in Michigan so the pump runs 20 hours a day 9 months a year.

In the last 6 years I replaced the bell and gosset motor, 2 bearing assembliies and 4 couplers.
two couplers just this season.

When shopping for a taco 007... i see there are several 007's in addition there are some are called pumps some cartrages, some talk about Brass, some are 007-F5 some BF3-007

It seems like a no brainer to buy a Taco as just the B&G couplers cost me over $100 in the last 2 years. my question is do I want the Taco 007-F5 to replace my B&G 100.
2) is instillation just the 4 bolts on the flanges and the two wires ?

thank you for reading. steve sdanville@sbcglobal.net

Old 03-18-06, 10:49 AM
Who
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
I'd say get a little Grundfos Brute, but that or a 007 would actually pay for itself in about 2 heating seasons because they only use about 40% as much zap-juice.

Old 03-18-06, 10:51 AM
thanks Who ?

Who do I thank for this reply?
I mean to say thank who.
I will look into this alternative pump.

Old 03-18-06, 01:41 PM
Who are you thanking?

If the B&G 100 has performed well, then either of the pumps who mentioned will work as well. If there is a possibility that you need more flow, you could gather some pipe size and flow requirement data and double check for size before you replace it.

Ken

Old 03-18-06, 06:37 PM
Bell and Gossett - high maintenance in my book

kfield-
thanks for the reply the B&G had fine flow - -
just seemed to need lots of fixing.

it is making some noise these days...- i fear another call from my tenant soon -- "we aint got no heat ".

I get these once a month.
I want to reply...ah, double negative, so you do in fact have heat.

But they wouldnt get it.

SUNDAY UPDATE - For $3 more then the price of a coupler on my B&G pump, yesterday I bought a Brand New delivered to my house TACO 007 F5 pump for $45. I will update this post on how the instiillation went.

Last edited by sdanville; 03-19-06 at 06:10 AM.
Old 03-20-06, 05:44 AM
G
Sounds good. Hopefully the replacemnt was a breeze.

I have 6 booster pumps in a building. All 6 used to be B&G 100, now 2 of them are Taco 007. I did have a call 6AM last week for a broken coupler on the 100 making lots of noise. Replacing it was a snap but still a pain to get a call.

Hopefully the Taco's hang in there for a while. They do uses less A/C too which is nice and no regular oiling either.

I did see a Taco go out after 5 years in another building but thats cause it had 6 zones, all off that one pump which meant a lot more use. A whacked it with the base of a screwdiver to get it to work for a day and then of course it failed again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: