Boiler leaking

Old 11-02-04, 03:44 AM
JasonMcBride
Visiting Guest
Boiler leaking

I just drained my central heating system to fix a leaking pipe and when I tried to refill the system using the fill loop the pipe didn't leak anymore but water started running everywhere from INSIDE the boiler. I had all of the valves shut off on the rads upstairs(maybe thats why it happened) any ideas why this would happen - have i ruptured the heat exchange or is there some sort of valve that releases when too much pressure is applied - I didnt take it over 2 psi - The boiler is a fairly new IKON T28 combi system, can anyone help please?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-04, 05:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2 psi won't cause a leak. The safety valve opens at 30 psi and could be mounted anywhere near the top of the boiler. I'm not familiar with your boiler but unless you shocked it with a major temperature extreme (hot boiler/cold water) you should not have caused a problem. The only thing I can tell you is to physically look inside and find out where the leak is coming from. Welds don't just blow out like that and cast iron won't leak unless it is cracked and it takes a lot to crack it. Please let us know if you need more info.

Ken

Old 11-02-04, 11:38 PM
JasonMcBride
Visiting Guest
Leaking boiler

Thanks for your input Ken, it was much apprieciated. I started again from scratch and applied the fill loop very slowly making sure to bleed the rads at the same time - and it worked! I'm not sure but there must be some sort of overflow inside the system and when I initially applied the fill loop I did it at full flow with the rad valves shut and the back pressure (along with air in the system) must have caused the valve to open and release all of the water.
Thanks again