Not able to bleed system

Old 11-04-04, 08:46 AM
ehoman
Visiting Guest
Cool Not able to bleed system

I'm in the process of replacing my standing radiators, on the 2nd floor, with cast iron baseboard units. This is my third replacement and I'm not able to bleed the system of air. The previous 2 base board units I was able to bleed successfully. The heating is all on one zone and, I do have heat on the first floor since I only drained the second floor. My pressure gauge reads 0 psi. I have verified that all the shut off valves are open and have closed the bleeder valves to try to increase pressure.

Old 11-04-04, 09:10 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Do you have a auto fill there and is it letting water in??
Id start there and check.

ED

Old 11-04-04, 09:16 AM
ehoman
Visiting Guest
I do have auto fill and I also use the boiler for my hot water which I don't have a problem with. Could there be a problem with the reducing valve?

Old 11-04-04, 01:00 PM
Wink

You should have 18 to about 20 psi to get water up to the top floor. the auto fill should fill the boiler for what it is set at. If it filled the boiler last year it should now---if its ok? The hot water for the home has not a thing to do with this.

ED

Old 11-05-04, 06:30 AM
A
You do not have enough water in the boiler, as Ed indicated you should see water pressure above 15 lbs. Are you sure you have all water fill valves open? I'd start at the boiler and trace the water line back to where it comes into the house, checking that every valve is open.

If all are open, the auto-fill valve is malfunctioning. You might try tapping on it, or increase the pressure. There should be a thumbscrew or hex head on top of the auto-fill valve. Turn it clockwise (viewed from the top), and listen for water flow. If you start getting water flow to the boiler, watch the pressure guage, and adjust the auto-flow to 18-20 psi.

If you cannot get water flow, you will need to replace the auto-fill valve.

Let us know what you find out.

Last edited by arkayassoc; 11-05-04 at 06:38 AM. Reason: follow-up
Old 11-08-04, 08:02 AM
ehoman
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your susggestions. I was able to bleed the systems by adjusting the auto fill.

Old 11-08-04, 09:30 AM
A
Thanks for posting your success.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: