Hissing Radiator

Old 11-05-04, 07:13 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hissing Radiator

Hi All. Please excuse me if I don't use the right terminology. I have Steam heat with recessed radiators. On one end of the radiator is a kind of release valve. When the heat is on some of the radiators hiss alot ( really loud), some a little and some not at all. Can Someone tell me what is normal and how to correct if there is a problem.

Thanks

Tearflop

Old 11-07-04, 09:54 PM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tearflop
Hi All. On one end of the radiator is a kind of release valve. When the heat is on some of the radiators hiss alot ( really loud), some a little and some not at all.

Tearflop
The release valve you are referencing may be an automatic vent for venting air out of the radiator. Is it on the side of the radiator at the top?

I have not seen one in many years, but the ones I am familiar with were egg shaped and chrome colored. Does this describe your "release valve"?

Old 11-12-04, 08:00 PM
T
Hi Rick, thanks for the reply...sorry I didnt respond right away.. Yes that describes it perfectly... I read somewhere that when the steam hits these valves they are suppose to close. Im figuring that mine are stuck open...Just wanted to get some feedback. Maybe I should replace.

Thanks

Tearflop

Old 11-12-04, 08:34 PM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, you should replace the auto-vents. You do not need to drain the system to do this, just shut the heat off and let the radiator's cool some.

Old 11-14-04, 06:08 PM
T
Thank you for the reply,,....

Im going to do that

Thanks
Tearflop

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: