bleeding radiator valves

Old 11-09-04, 08:02 AM
postal046
Visiting Guest
bleeding radiator valves

I recently bled all my radiators with no problems, however when the heat the next time 2 of the 6 radiators were cold. I bled those two again, until they got hot again. I keep having this problem with these two. ANY HELP OUT THERE. thanks

Old 11-09-04, 08:57 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Are they the two highest radiators in the house? (upstairs or elevated) The air will keep moving upward as the water flows until it is all bled off. Otherwise there is an opening sucking air just before these two. Post back please.

Old 11-09-04, 12:27 PM
postal046
Visiting Guest
rad valves

the two rads are 2nd one and last one. the ones in betwween work fine

Old 11-09-04, 01:03 PM
And the plot thickens. I would check for any fitting that may be letting air into the radiators. It would have to be close to each one. Only thing I can't figure out is why, if it allows air to be sucked in, it isn't leaking water.

Old 11-09-04, 03:27 PM
A
Just so we are using the same frame of reference as you, what do you consider "the two rads are 2nd one and last one. the ones in betwween work fine".

Is this a one, two, or three story house? Which story are the 2nd one and the last one on?

Did you trace the hot water piping to determine the order of the radiators from the boiler?

Is there anything different about the piping configuration for these two radiators versus the others?

I am with majak dragon, and what you have described does not make sense, if we are using the same frame of reference as you.

Last edited by arkayassoc; 11-09-04 at 03:28 PM. Reason: another thought
Old 11-09-04, 06:45 PM
postal046
Visiting Guest
rad valves

the house is two story. the order of the rads are bathroom(good), bedroom (bad), bedroom (good), bedroom (good), living room (good), dining room (bad), toe kick heater (good). the bedroom is on second level, the dining room is on main level as well as the living room and toe kick heater. all others are on the second level. the piping configuration is the same in all rads. one pipe in and one pipe out.

Old 11-10-04, 05:48 AM
A
What is the pressure on the boiler, and is it in a basement?

Old 11-10-04, 04:24 PM
postal046
Visiting Guest
radiators

the boiler is in the basement which is ground level. the radiators when bled will give off heat but after about an hour they are cold again. i can bleed them over and over and i get the same results.

Old 11-10-04, 06:05 PM
A
And, again, what is the pressure at the boiler?

Old 11-14-04, 06:29 PM
postal046
Visiting Guest
bleeding rads

about 21 psi

Old 11-14-04, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
When you bleed them do you get air out? I suspect you do not. If you don't, all you are doing is bringing hot water up from the boiler and replacing the cold water you let out of the bleeder with hot water from the boiler. That isn't the object. The object is to get circulation. Did these radiators heat normally last winter?

Ken

Old 11-15-04, 06:10 PM
postal046
Visiting Guest
bleeding rads

the radiators worked fine last winter and the start of this heating season. it seemed to start when i had a circulator pump replaced and the plumber had to shut down the system. i bled all the rads and thats when the trouble started

Old 11-15-04, 06:25 PM
When you bleed the radiator do you get air out?

Ken

Old 11-16-04, 02:21 PM
postal046
Visiting Guest
rads

no air comes out

Old 11-16-04, 06:46 PM
Well you answered my question but it leads to another question. Does water come out? I suspect that it does. What you have is air trapped somewhere in a pipe leading to the radiator. I would suggest lifting each end of the radiator, one at a time about an inch. Do it gently with the heat turned off and then try the heat again. What is happening is that there is a high spot in a pipe leading to your radiator and it is preventing circulation. The only other possibility I can think of would be a valve somewhere that you do are not aware of that may be closed.

Ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: