replacing zone valves

Old 11-10-04, 09:22 AM
chuckhubbert
Visiting Guest
replacing zone valves

I've read through 10 pages of notes, and I didn't quite see the information I need, so....

I have a gas fired boiler, 4 zones with White-Rodgers 1133 (or 1113, I forgot my notes) Zone-A-Flow 3/4" valves. Three of the 4 are not working. I've found some documentation for them and will finish by verifying that the thermostats are not the problem.

I'm wondering whether to replace the 3 with the same W-R parts, or to change to Taco 570 valves? I can replace all 4 with Taco for less than the 3 W-R replacements, and I've read good comments about the Taco valves. I think I'd need to replace the transformer since the W-R are 25vac valves and the Taco's are 24vac (or vice-versa...)

Also, I'd like to install a programmable thermostat on one or two of the zones. What kind of thermostat do I need to look for to work with the zone valves?

Thanks,

Chuck

Old 11-11-04, 02:51 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The taco valves are good but they are power hungry. It is not the voltage that would make you need another transformer, it is the current draw. I would use Honeywell or Erie valves. They are reliable and equivalent to what you now have and are easier to solder in the system.

Any thermostat will work with either valve.

Ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: