Do I need a wireless thermostat?

Old 11-13-04, 10:07 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Do I need a wireless thermostat?

I have a 3 storey house with oil fired pumped hot water radiators. I replaced the old analog thermostat with a programmable unit but there is a definite problem. This old house has only 1 zone (well, 2 actually, but one is for just the kitchen.) Heat for the entire house minus the kitchen is controlled by the thermostat, in a front room. It is the formal living room and gets little traffic. Even with the digital thermostat, turning it up 1 degree above ambient means it will not shut off until most of the house is at least 5 degrees hotter, and some rooms on the second floor 10 degrees! Installing another zone is not an option. I figure I have to move the thermostat to a central location on the second floor near the center stairway, which has 2 landings and a fairly large opening to the second floor. The third floor is accessed through a back stairway, which goes from basement to 3rd floor. Instead of rewiring, I figure it will be easier to go with a wireless thermostat, but they are very pricey. Any ideas on how to even out the heat without spending $300?? I'm working on fixing windows and sealing cracks. The house is insulated pretty well. I wish there were a good way to circulate air from 1st to 3rd floor. Would an exhaust fan in a 3rd floor skylight window help or just waste energy? Location is coastal Maine. Cold but not brutal (0 common, 25 below uncommon.)

Thanks.

Old 11-14-04, 05:33 AM
What you need to do is balance the hottest radiators. Hopefully the valves on the radiators will turn and you can close them down until everything is in proportion. If you move the thermostat, other rooms will be ice cold. Don't let the heat out of the house unless you absolutely have to because you are paying for that heat and you will be masking the problem instead of repairing it.

Ken

Old 11-14-04, 10:32 PM
R
The valves are still a mystery

Hi,

I'm the same guy you replied to a few weeks ago with the oddball 180 degree turn valves. At that time you told me they should only turn 90 degrees. I would like to send you a picture of one of these. Do you know how I can change my "img" setting so I can include an image with a post?

With the stop off, one valve turns forever, with no effect on the heat. Another one turns 180 degrees (w/stop removed), but has a slight leak in the 90 degree position. I've been very reluctant to turn any valves. The few I have turned either do nothing, or leak a bit. I am completely frustrated, hence the post regarding moving the thermostat.

Rory

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: