Optimal boiler temperature settings

Old 11-14-04, 11:17 AM
BuckyB
Visiting Guest
Optimal boiler temperature settings

I have a Weil-Mclain oil fired hot water boiler heating system with finned, copper pipe baseboard units. I wish manually to set the optimal boiler cut in and cut out temperatures for the New England heating and non-heating season (my hot water storage tank is heated from the boiler). How do I determine the optimal (most fuel efficient) settings for: fall and spring, main part of winter, summer when I'm only heating water, and vacations when I turn off the water heater zone. During the heating season, can I determine the optimal temperatures (including the differential CI to CO) based on outdoor and indoor temps? Is there a formula I could use? Same with summer and vacation, what are the minimal temps to avoid rust and/or other damage to the boiler or system?

Old 11-14-04, 12:18 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Id say a 160o to 180o will work just fine. summer try 140o and see if it works for you. Think more in the oil burner here to save fuel cost. Clean the blower wheel,new nozzle ,oil filter, check pump pressure set electrode. check draft and set it check stack temp and combustion for CO2. Thats where you want to look to save.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: