Steam Heat- How do I lower the Pressure

Old 11-17-04, 03:24 PM
robfinora
Visiting Guest
Steam Heat- How do I lower the Pressure

Hi All,

I have an oil-buner furnace with a 2-pipe steam heat system in my house. I noticed the steam pressure is getting up to 6 PSI which I understand is high- I thought it should read 1.5-3 PSI. It does read 1.5 when the furnace is not burning but when she lights up it goes up to 6 PSI. Is that too high? If so, how do I lower the pressure?

Thanks,
Rob

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-04, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That is very high for a 2 pipe residential system. The steam actually travels faster at a lower pressure. Set it to cut in at .5psi and use a 1psi additive differential. Hopefully your control will be able to accept those settings. Let us know how it changes boiler operation. Also try to be sure the gauge is accurate. Check it and be sure it stops on zero with the system idle.

If you turn the screw on the top of the pressure control you can see the pointer drop down to the lower settings. The differential adjustment is under the cover (usually)

Ken

Old 11-18-04, 08:02 AM
robfinora
Visiting Guest
Ken,

I have a device extending out from the front of the boiler that has readings that start at 0.5 (I think they are PSI readings). It is set at the lowest right now and I am not sure what the additive differential is but I will check. If I re-call that one is set higher (mayber 3 or 4)- at work right now so I can't check till later. Then I have a larger meter gauge bolted into the front of the boiler tank that reads 2-3 PSI at idle and when she fires-up I notice her going up to around 6 PSA.

Any thoughts? Something is not 100% right in the system because the downstairs rooms in my house are much warmer than the upstairs rooms. Been going over the system one-step at a time. I did insulate all the steam pipes in the basement and this increased the efficiency somewhat. The previous owner had a new boiler installed at some point and ALL the insulation was removed when they did the work!

Thanks and I look forward to your repley.

Rob

Old 11-18-04, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the gauge does not go to zero when the system is cold, then it is defective. It should run between .5 and 2 usually. Those gauges are relative fragile and a little steam hammer will ruin them. If you put adjustable vents on the first floor rads (if they use them) or close the inlet valves partially, you may be able to get things to settle down a bit.

Ken

Old 11-18-04, 07:14 PM
robfinora
Visiting Guest
OK Ken - I removed the cover and found the settings. The gauge does not seem to be working. At idle I taped it with a screw driver and it went down to 0 PSI. The cut-in was set to 0.5 PSI so I left that. The Dif. was set at 3. I lowered that to 1 as you recommended.

Hopefully this will increase my heat in the upstairs rooms - I will let you know!

Thanks- Rob.