circulating pump on water boiler furnace???

Old 11-19-04, 12:57 AM
thirdeep
Visiting Guest
circulating pump on water boiler furnace???

I have a boiler fuel oil furnace that heats 1000 sq feet house it dosnt seem to heat like it should. I bled every bleeder valve. now I am wondering if I have a weak circulating pump is there any way to tell if the pump is functioning properly. like if the furnace is running and I open a bleeder valve how much pressure will the hot water come out? also how full should my expansion tank be? thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-04, 09:42 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

The psi in the boiler should be only what it takes to get water out of the top bleeder is all you need. Most are at 15 psi. The expansion tank say not over 1/2 full when the boiler is hot. Now you dont say what baseboards you have there. Now lots of time have went on a no heat call boiler burner just fine----- The fin type baseboard there work that the cold air on the floor comes over to it and as it gets hot goes up the wall and more cold air comes in from across the floor. So what do we have DIRT build up on the under side of all the fins and this stops the air off and no more hot air. Take and run a shop vac along all the base board on the under side of the fins. Now dont bend any of them . If the pipe there is hot the pump is ok.
You do have the oil burner looked at and serviced every year . Filter, nozzle, draft, pump psi and air set????????

ED

Old 11-19-04, 12:08 PM
I agree with Ed.
As far as the circulator is concerned--
If you have an older B&G pump, you should check the coupler between the motor and pump. If that is broken, you will need to replace the coupler. If it is any more serious than that, I would replace the pump with a TACO 007 one-piece circulator. Much cheaper maintenance free, and more efficient!

Old 11-19-04, 01:20 PM
thirdeep
Visiting Guest
Thanks I will try the vacuum under the fins because that has not been done since I lived here {3 years} I also think I will have my furnace serviced like you said. the only servicing I have done is change the fuel oil filter at the fuel tank.Im trying to make my heating more efficient with the high cost of fuel oil.

Old 11-19-04, 07:08 PM
Upvotes: 0
You can trace the path of the hot water by starting at the boler and work your way up and out by carefully touching the pipes. They may be almost 200 degrees so don't grab a hold of them to check temperature. You will find an area with no heat when you find a cold pipe. Make sure the thermostat is calling for heat when you do this and you may find a problem, or not. If all the pipes are hot, Eds suggestion may restore the heat. Not only do you need hot water but also you need air to pick up the heat and distribute it throughout the room.

Ken