New baseboard zone, zone valve wiring, please help!

Old 11-20-04, 08:11 PM
Asthilai
Visiting Guest
Question New baseboard zone, zone valve wiring, please help!

Hi folks, I am new here and need some help. Our house is a split level and the downstairs never had heat. The downstairs is slab on grade. I plan to just add a zone to the existing boiler. We have baseboard hydronic heat upstairs. The home inspector said the boiler had plenty of BTUís at 64,000 to feed a second zone. He said the circulator valve (TACO) should also be sufficient and I only needed to add 2 zone valves and T off the supply side (hot out of the boiler) with a zone valve on each leg. (and T the return for the new zone)
Well I got that far and just sweated ĺĒ ball valves on the legs of the new Tís (closed) so I could at least keep the upstairs warm. (I manually locked the new zone valve open for the time being)
The inspector mentioned something about CODE possibly not allowing baseboard heat to be installed below the level (height) of the boiler. This didnít make sense to me, the ONLY reason I could think of that you wouldnít want this is difficulty in draining that loop (but I planned to simply add a couple 3/4Ē sweat/ sweat/ NPT TEEís with boiler type drain valves at the low points.) Is there anything I am missing that would make this a bad thing?
His suggestion to keeping the new heating zone above the boiler height was wall mounted, fan forced units. He said two of them should be sufficient. Itís about 700 square feet of living space made up of 4 rooms that are connected by open doorways and a hall; adjacent to a 2 car garage. Itís all insulated (I am waiting on my slant fin CD to do a heat loss).
So my question is this, no matter which heat transfer method I end up with, I need to wire the two zone valves and add a thermostat to the downstairs to control the second zone. The upstairs thermostat comes down to the boiler and essentially acts as a switch in the blue wire off the transformer (24V 40VA) in the boiler. Itís a raypack propane fueled, power vented boiler for the hydronic baseboard loop upstairs.
I am a little unsure of the wiring of these zone valves. Initially I thought I could just use the transformer in the boiler to power them. Can I do this, or do I need to add a second transformer for the new zone valves? (Itís a 40VA transformer in the boiler controls compartment and right now all it does is power the controls and the relay for the TACO circulator.)

I bought two TACO zone valves (2 wire, model 571-2 gold series)

The wiring diagram for the boiler and the valves can be found here:
http://www.superpowersports.net/imag...ler_wiring.jpg
http://www.superpowersports.net/imag...lve-wiring.jpg

Initially I thought I could just hook the wiring from the existing thermostat circuit up through the zone valves and back to the boiler, but I looked at it for a while and just went cross eyed. Whatís the best way to wire this configuration?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help! -Alan in Western Mass.

Old 11-23-04, 09:53 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Get a Taco zvc-403

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: