Modified system, new aquastat settings

Old 11-25-04, 08:21 PM
Heatmiser
Visiting Guest
Modified system, new aquastat settings

I have an oil fired / hot water radiator system that also used to supply domestic hot water. I installed a new gas hot water heater, I cut and capped off the old domestic hot supply to house from boiler. I used to shut system off in summer to prevent occasional boiler operation (due to mistaken call for hot domestic water) but read that this can be bad for system. Aquastat is now set to HI 180 and LO 120, diff is at 10. Is this the best dial setup for me? Any unnecessary wiring under aquastat cover that needs to be snipped? should i also pull old domestic hw element out of boiler or just ignore it? could it melt over time and impede flue gasses? My submerged triple aquastat relay cover is stamped L8124A, C or L8151A.

Last edited by Heatmiser; 11-25-04 at 08:22 PM. Reason: info add
Old 11-26-04, 07:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Your settings are good. If the low limit goes any lower, you can go all the way down to 100 without causing any problems. Let the domestic coil alone. It is immersed in boiler water and does not touch flue gasses anywhere.

Ken

Old 11-26-04, 08:54 PM
Heatmiser
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the help and info Ken, I thought the domestic coil was above or below the boiler water coil, didn't realize it was submerged in it(makes perfect sense for type of system) I'll treat it like an artificial reef, sink it and forget it.

Old 11-27-04, 05:59 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roger that. One thing I forgot to mention, don't plug the inlet and outlet of the coil. If you trap some of that water in there and the boiler ever gets hot enough to turn that into steam, it could damage the coil. That may not be a problem if you never intend to use the coil again, but you never know what will happen.

Ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: