Water Pressure not holding

Old 11-28-04, 10:22 PM
jgilbertson
Visiting Guest
Water Pressure not holding

I have a 1999 Slant/Fin boiler and my upstairs 2 bedroom radiators were not getting hot. I had a service technician come in and advise that my water pressure was at 0. We added water to the system to get the PSI up to 17-18. Within 1 hour, the PSI had dropped back to 0. Tech came back out following day and checked the Expansion Tank. He pulled it off and found that it was completely full of "sediment"? He replaced the expansion tank and the PSI seemed to have held at 17-18. Today, the PSI was at 0 again. Added water to the system again, but within another hour or so, the PSI had dropped back to 0.
Any suggestions? - - Jeff

Old 11-29-04, 05:23 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you have automatic air eliminators on the system, you may still be getting rid of air. If not, you have a water leak somewhere. It may be difficult to find but you will have to find it. One account of mine had a pipe that went under a concrete floor and they got a water bill for 160,000 gallons of water in one quarter of the year. We never saw the leak but we re-routed the only pipe it could have been in the heating system and that took care of it. An automatic water feeder keeps pressure in the system but also hides the signs of a leak. Start by locating all the pipes for the heating system and then decide where a leak could occur that you would never see. If you can't isolate that pipe, you may have to re-route and use trial and error.

Ken

Old 11-29-04, 06:10 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

With Ken here If you have any hot water pipes in a cement floor. Have found the leaks with just your hand on the floor where the leak is will be a hot spot. Sounds dumb but has worked.

ED

Old 11-29-04, 09:37 AM
jgilbertson
Visiting Guest
Forgive me, but I am not exactly sure what an automatic air eliminator is, and if I even have one? Also, might be a little ironic, but I'm seeing water spots on my basement ceiling tiles. I thought it was my mainfloor shower, but perhaps it is a leak in the heating pipe?
I have 2 zones out of my boiler. One that routes the entire basement(where the pipes do run in the cement). The mainfloor pipes run directly out of the boiler under the wood floors on the main floor. (my house is a standard ranch/rambler) with a finished basement.

Old 11-29-04, 09:45 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I'm seeing water spots on my basement ceiling tiles. I thought it was my mainfloor shower, but perhaps it is a leak in the heating pipe?
Id sure take some tile down and find out what is what there.

ED

Old 11-29-04, 10:41 AM
jgilbertson
Visiting Guest
I did take these ceiling tiles down last year, and thought I solved the problem last spring. I re-caulked my shower, and had absolutely no problems all summer with the water leaks. Now that it is getting cold again, maybe it is the heating system pipe. I'll check.
But again, what is the Automatic Air Automater/Ventilator?

Old 12-01-04, 08:35 AM
jgilbertson
Visiting Guest
No water leak that I could find on this. I did confirm my water leak is coming from my shower upstairs. Now my pressure is fluctuating between 19 and 0, on its own? I check a couple of times per day and it is fluctuating? I have added no water to the system. Any more ideas?

Old 12-01-04, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A fluctuation like that indicates a problem with the expansion tank. If it is the old style, it is waterlogged. If it is the diaphragm type, it is either too small (I doubt it), low on air, or defective.

Ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: