aquastat

Old 11-29-04, 03:11 PM
leoc
Visiting Guest
aquastat

HI
I would like to know if there's a difference with a cold start aquastat or one that has the temp controls on it. I was told by my service tech that a cold start aquastat maintains 180deg only when there is a call for heat otherwise the boiler will not fire up. The reason why i ask is because i just got a peerless boiler installed and it came with this cold start aquastat, but after it was installed there was problems with it, so he put another aquastat on it the one with the high and low temp settings, he also told me the low temp setting on the aquastat was not being used just the high. So if i understand this right the water temp will always be 180deg? is this ok

thanks a lot

Old 11-29-04, 06:57 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There is a difference between the two controls. It is just as you described. The cold start one does not maintain any temperature in the boiler and only starts the burner when there is a call for heat. It will still stop the burner at the high limit. The other one maintains whatever temperature the low limit is set at until a call for heat and then it goes for the high limit. Maybe your tech clipped the wire for the low limit. The cold start control costs less so it would have been cheaper to use that control.

Ken

Old 11-30-04, 03:13 PM
leoc
Visiting Guest
Thanks Ken,
I have one more question can i shut the boiler off in the summer?
Thanks again for the help.
P.S. Iam sure I'll post again.

Old 11-30-04, 03:17 PM
You can shut it off in the summer, but if you have a domestic coil in the boiler or a blank coil plate, you may have problems with the gasket. Give it a try.

Ken

Old 11-30-04, 04:12 PM
leoc
Visiting Guest
Ken the boiler is without coil (peerless WBV-04 with a beckett) Iam not sure if i have a blank coil plate how can i find out
thanks

Old 12-01-04, 05:12 AM
Look around on the boiler. It is a steel plate with several bolts in it. Usually the jacket is cut out around it. A true cold start boiler should not have any gasketed surfaces in my opinion. They are the weakness.

Ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: