Glass tube on steam boiler broken

Old 12-02-04, 07:45 PM
anotherfrog
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Glass tube on steam boiler broken

I have a Peerless steam boiler and noticed that it was leaking around the glass tube that shows the water level. I turned the nut on the bottom a little to see if it was loose and now I have a broken tube. i also noticed the packing/washer material inside the nuts that go around the tube was pretty shot, probably what caused the leak.

I turned the thermostat all the way down and shut off the valves at the top and bottom of the glass tube. The valves go out to a feeder control device which has the valve I bleed the system with at the bottom. Any thoughts on if this will be safe for the evening or should I get someone to rush out tonight to fix? It would be a drag to have someone come out, tell me it is safe, and they can't get the part until tomorrow, so they will come back and charge me again in the morning.

any thoughts? Thanks for any advice/opinions.

Old 12-03-04, 05:40 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sorry I didn't see the post until morning. You can (could have) just close(d) the valves for the gauge glass and let the boiler run. That is what those valves are for. The glass and washers are something that leaks/breaks occasionally and are not an expensive repair. Next time try the repairs earlier in the evening. Ha Ha

Ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: