Dry Air from Baseboard Heat/Adjust Boiler Temp

Old 12-06-04, 07:55 AM
fyounus99
Visiting Guest
Dry Air from Baseboard Heat/Adjust Boiler Temp

Normally my boiler that provides hot water heat to my baseboards is set at 180 degrees. When the heat has reached 72 degrees in the house the air is very dry.

I was thinking that by turning the water temp down from 180 to 170 it might prevent the dryness?

Is this true? Will this also reduce my gas bill?

I appreciate your comments.

Thank You,

Frank-

Old 12-06-04, 08:16 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Frank,

The dryness you feel is low relative humidity. And, relative humidity is a ratio of how much moisture is in the air at a given temperature versus saturated air at the same temperature. The only ways to increase the relative humidity are to either add water vapor to the air, or reduce the temperature of the air in the home. Decreasing the boiler water temperature will not increase the relative humidity in the house, unless you set the thermostat at a lower temperature, i.e. below 72. There is not a way to put a humidifier on a closed hydronic heater, like you can on a forced warm air furnace. People used to sit pans of water on the radiators to increase the room humidity.

Decreasing your boiler water temperature by 10 will not change the feeling of dryness. I doubt it will save you anything on your gas bill either. The reason for this is, if you are circulating cooler water through the radiators, there is less heat available to warm the room air. This means the furnace will have to run longer, at a lower temperature, to get equivalent heating. Think of it as trying to boil water on the stove. You can set the burner on medium heat and it will boil water. However, turn the heat up to high and the water will boil much quicker.

Hope this helps,

Old 12-06-04, 08:28 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

You might look into a whole house humidifier there for the home. They have some that look nice in the home. Like said to turn the boiler temp down wont help. The books say the humidity should be up to 40% to 65% there in the home. Now if you get it up there some you will feel warmer and push the tstat down some, there by saving fuel.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: