Domestic hot water and whole house heating with one boiler?????

Old 12-06-04, 09:25 AM
Victorious1_1
Visiting Guest
Need some expert help please.

I am installing a new boiler (NYThermal Legacy L150) and I have a couple of questions.

I understand how to pipe the installation for just heating use, but, I'll be using the DHW heating coil on this unit for domestic hot water.

During the heating season I can see how the boiler would supply hot water to the coil by keeping the boiler LO temp. at 160 F. minimum, but, when summer comes along, if the heating water is kept at this temp wouldn't the whole house be hot also? There are no zone controls on my system at all, just a central thermostat.

Is there supposed to be a electric valve that stops circulation to the one pipe heating system and another valve opens for the bypass circuit causing the boiler water to recirculate around the DHW coil?

I just can't see how the boiler controller can make a distinction between a call for house heat and a call for DHW heat without separate valving for each segment.

I'm a little cloudy on this and would really appreciate some expert help.

Vic

Last edited by Victorious1_1; 12-07-04 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Changing title for better response
Old 12-07-04, 06:39 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Greetings from NH. I am sure that if your thermostat in the house is turned down (off) during the summer season, then your circulator pump which is on the boiler side is not going to send the heat up into the house because it is not being called for. Thus the only water to heat up will be inside the boiler itself which in return will heat the DHW in your coil. I hope this was of some help. Happy Holidays!

Old 12-07-04, 12:04 PM
Victorious1_1
Visiting Guest
Thanks Bob, now it all seems to make sense to me. I guess that all I have to do now is be certain that the Sentry 2100 controller on this boiler knows that I have installed a DHW coil or does it automatically keep the boiler water temp at a minimum 160' if I set the LO limit to 160?

Maybe I'm confusing this somewhat; if there is no call from the thermostat for heat, the recirc. pump will not start, but, the boiler will keep itself between the preset high and low limits and that is what heats the DHW.

If this is the case, can I install a timer on this boiler so that it is not constantly running to make DHW at times that it's not needed?

What type/make of timer could I purchase to accomplish this?

Happy holidays, Vic

Old 12-07-04, 01:24 PM
Question

If it were me (and I have done this for summer months for many years) I would save the money of the timer and the installation and what I do is just reach to the red boiler switch on my kitchen wall (or it could be located just inside a door leading to the boiler, such as at the entrance to the basement) and turn that wall switch off until awake in the morning. consider it!

Old 12-07-04, 05:20 PM
Victorious1_1
Visiting Guest
It'd be just my luck to get up in the morning, forget to turn the switch on and then have to take a cold shower because I'm late for work. LOL But it is a good suggestion.

Vic

Old 12-22-04, 11:16 AM
Happy Holidays....did you ever install the timer? Or did you solve you HW issue another way. Thanks.

Old 12-22-04, 02:22 PM
Victorious1_1
Visiting Guest
No timer yet Bob. I think I may just do it the way you suggested because it's only my wife and I that live here and we would usually remember to turn it on or off. Thanks for the tip and have a wonderful Christmas.

Vic

Old 12-23-04, 05:39 AM
Smile

Merry Christmas to you and yours also!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: