water softner benefit furnace life ?

Old 12-07-04, 09:22 AM
minime
Visiting Guest
water softner benefit furnace life ?

i am contemplating on getting a water softner due to the sediment seen in my hot water tank when i got the lower tap replaced...
i know a softner is a good idea for a water heater, but would it benefit the furnace..
as in , could sediment cause damage to the furnace..or sediment travel through my piping ...
thanks

Old 12-07-04, 08:15 PM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

Depending on the hardness of the water in your area, a water softener can be an excellent idea. It does sound like you have hard water, so it would benefit your plumbing. Generally, all the hot water is softened, as well as both hot and cold in the shower and laundry.
As far as the furnace, I assume you are speaking of feeding soft water to the humidifier? That would be a good idea.

Old 12-08-04, 06:01 AM
minime
Visiting Guest
regarding the furnace, i ahev radiant base board heating, with a bryant furnace,,, with all the piping going through the walls and so on, would it be worth my time now to get a water softner to avoid problems later on..
thanks

Old 12-08-04, 06:05 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The water in your heating system never changes. It is put in and reused like the antifreeze in your car. So no new minerals get into the system after the first fill. The minerals drop out and the oxygen dissipates and the water becomes inert (sort of).

Ken

Old 12-08-04, 06:10 AM
minime
Visiting Guest
thanks, i never knew that...
now that makes me think if the water (antifreeze) ever needs to be treated to keep it stable?
this brings up another problem than, i have a ruptured expansion tank, and its causing my relief valve...to relieve periodically.. so now.. does this mean when i fix the problem i should be adding water ? and how do you know how much water to put back in the system..
thanks for the reply's

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: