Water From The Oil Burner Expansion Tank?

Old 12-08-04, 11:16 AM
FRED223
Visiting Guest
Water From The Oil Burner Expansion Tank?

WHEN OPENING THE SCHREIDER VALVE ON TOP OF MY OIL BURNER EXPANSION TANK, I GET A BURST OF AIR AND THEN WATER.
SHOULD WATER BE COMING OUT OF THE EXPANSION TANK AT ALL? DOES IT NOW HAVE TO BE REPLACED? I AM PRETTY HANDY, CAN I DO IT MYSELF?

FRED

Old 12-08-04, 01:02 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I take it its a small like bladder tank there and if you get water out the bladder is shot . So yes you need a new one get the same size. Its a DIY for sure. Some you can just close the water line to it take it off and put the new one in.on others you have to drain the boiler down some ,so you can take it out. They come pre charge at 12 lb psi. that should be what you need the names are Extrol Fill-trol. Need more help come on back here to the same post

ED

Old 12-08-04, 03:07 PM
FRED223
Visiting Guest
Thank You For The Quick Response!

I Took A Look At It When I Got Home. The "amitrol, Extrol, Model 15" Expansion Tank Is Connected To The Bottom Of A "taco Airscoop", Which Is In Line With The Water Line. On Top Of The Airscoop Is A "maid-o-mist, No.67 Auto Vent" (the Schreider Valve). The Schreider Valve Is Not Connected Directly To The Expansion Tank But On Top Of The Taco Airscoop. Is Seems That There Should Be Water Coming Out, Yes...no? I'm Not Familiar At All With How This Should Be Set Up. Yet It's Never To Late To Learn!!!

Fred

Old 12-08-04, 04:31 PM
A
Fred, If the Schrader valve is on the air scoop, and you get water out, that is normal. Have you checked the pressure on the Schrader valve on the expansion tank? And do you just get air out of it, i.e. no water?

Old 12-08-04, 06:33 PM
FRED223
Visiting Guest
Thanks For The Reply.

There Is A Schreider Valve On The Bottom Of The Expansion Tank. It Lets Out Only Air That Smelled Like Dead Fish. There Was One Very,very Small Drop Of Water. Only One. Then Just Air.

Would Anyone Know Of A Good Info About How The Oil Fired, Hot Water System Should Work? Is There A Way To Adjust The Temp.? My Temp Gauge Is Always Hanging Around 180. Does The System Ever Have To Be Flushed In It's Lifetime? I Opened The Valve At The End Of The Line Were It Goes Back Into The Tank To Be Heated Again. It Came Out Clear Except For One Section Of Water That Came Out Dark, Then Cleared Up Again.

Fred

Old 12-08-04, 07:24 PM
A
The small drop of water you got was probably just condensed from the air the bladder was filled with, and it sounds like your expansion tank is fine.

Here is a link to a Bell & Gosset tutorial on hydronic heating systems, that should help. http://fhaspapp.ittind.com/homeowner....asp#HouseTour

If you need more help, please post back.

Old 12-09-04, 04:25 AM
FRED223
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply's. I'll try the website.

Fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: