What is the most reliable water pump for a boiler?

Old 12-11-04, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is the most reliable water pump for a boiler?

I have a bell gossell -
Are pump bodies universal so some other brand can bolt in ?

arent these water lubed bearings I hear about better than oil ?

(no heat - saturday night - ememgency )

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-04, 06:35 PM
I prefer the Taco 007. It is water cooled, water lubricated, and sealless. It willfit where your B&G 100 is but the flanges are rotated 90 degrees. Probably not an issue but if things are tight in the pump location on your system, you should know before you tackle the project.

Ken

Old 12-11-04, 06:49 PM
toco 007- thanks ken -

I will look into that. thats my next web search.
My area is very tight. I should have a spare on hand.

Old 12-11-04, 07:18 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I wholeheartedly agree with Ken. That Taco 007 is smaller, quiet, and there's absolutely NO maintenance. It uses less power as well

Old 12-11-04, 07:30 PM
Taco fit

If you know---I want to verify - - so can I bolt the propeller part of a taco into the Bell Gossett part?

i JUST LOOKED.the taco has inlet at one end and outlet the other-

thats not close to my Bell gossett.

Last edited by sdanville; 12-11-04 at 07:45 PM. Reason: update
Old 12-11-04, 08:00 PM
I'm not sure what part you are confused about. You woul ddisconnect your pump at the flanges. Throw it away. Install the new Taco pump between the flanges with the new gaskets supplied. Reconnect the wire and away you go. Hopefully you have valves to isolate the pump from the system.

Ken

Old 12-11-04, 08:12 PM
Ok

i think ive got it.

and no, no shut off by the pump. i have to drain the whole stinking system.

Old 12-11-04, 08:49 PM
I think your question has been well answered. I have a B&G that has performed well for the past 21 years, since I bought the house, and probably longer, as it was there before me.

So,,,my question is why do you need to replace it? What heating system problem is driving this decision?

I would hate for you to replace the circulation pump just because you were trying to get heat to a second or third floor. A new pump will not do that.

Old 12-11-04, 09:13 PM
Problem found with Gell Gossett pump

The failure is probably my fault.
Directions read oil it once a year, and aparently it needs to be oiled twice a year.

the last time it didnt work-- the impeller shaft was froze and dry.

all i know is that right now the 110V is there and it isnt pumping.
tomorrow i will drain the system - determin the fault and buy it on Monday morning. I will update this page when I find the error.
This Toco sure makes since for a slob like me that cant remember to oil the pump.
(i dont live where the boiler is I own),
SUNDAY NOON UPDATE: I Drained my system--estimate 10 gallons..took off the Bell Gossett pump. took the 4 bolts off the bearing/impeller assembly and removed the allen screw that holds it to the shaft. Get this the pump failure is because ONE SPRING came off and jammed into another. Do you think Home Depot -Lowes - Or basic hardwares have this size Spring ? Nope. Anyone know if I have to buy a whole $75 assembly - ? Thanks. Now 33F and no heat. Again- 14 month old part. No Way this should have happened.

Last edited by sdanville; 12-12-04 at 12:17 PM. Reason: update
Old 12-12-04, 06:46 AM
Victorious1_1
Visiting Guest
Grundfoss is also another fine little recirculating pump. Quiet, compact and very reliable. Been using one for many years and never a hint of a problem.

Vic

Old 12-12-04, 04:46 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I am truly sorry to hear about your pump woes. I have been in your exact situation before, and it IS maddening that just one stupid small part breaks and disables the entire pump. Sometimes it just makes me really !!!
For about the same price as what you were quoted for the B&G part ( which seems high if it is just the coupling), you can buy the Taco 007 and be done with all the maintenance and hassle. Permanently. Yes the B&G 100 was and is an excellent pump, but it is considered old technonogy by todays standards. Even B&G is selling wet rotor pumps now, but the Taco costs less and is every bit as good. So is the Grundfos, but they're not an exact drop-in replacement like the Taco. I have been working with circulators for 25 years, so I know what I say.
Do yourself a favor and stop messing with that old pump and get a new Taco 007.
Let us know how things work out.

Old 12-12-04, 05:14 PM
old pump

thanks for the advice.
just to clairify-
the motor is only 3 years old and the bearing assembly is 14 months !
- - But If you mean old as in design. Amen.

I have to have heat ASAP --tomorrow at 8 am I will be at the furnace store. I am afraid to open a can of worms unhooking 33 year old flanges..I will replair this for now and Seriously consider total replacment in the Spring. Again, thanks to this site and the contributers.

Monday Night. Dec 13th At 8am I was at the Furnace store. One cant buy just a spring, but I was happy to pay $24 for a new coupler and gasket. To make sure of no leak I used permatex too. The furnace guy said dont need it but last year it leaked with new gasket until I used permatex....In addition another guy at the furnace place claimed I should buy a new motor as usually wear in the motor bearlings is what shakes the springs loose. I got to thinking, when I replaced the bearing/impeller 14 months ago , I believe I used the old coupler. So that coupler could be really really old. Anyways all ended well this morning as I have the pump fixed and my 4 apartments have heat. Now 27F here in GR Michigan. Wahoo.

Last edited by sdanville; 12-13-04 at 04:55 PM. Reason: update